Re: [compost_tea] Re: Effects of Chlorinated water

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 01:38:47 EDT

I guess I have to go with the observations we've made of fully chlorinated
water on the organisms in tea. Activity is destroyed.

Which may be the difference between what Doug was saying and what I'm saying.

If Doug is relying on plate counts of the organisms, remember that 99.99% of
the bacteria in soil, compost or compost tea won't grow on plates. So they
miss those when they do plate counts.

They also are measuring viability, not activity when you do plate counts.
And we need active organisms in tea.

So, anyone that wants to know for certain the impacts of cholrine on
organisms in their tea, come visit SFI for a couple days, and have us do the testing
on your tea.

Elaine
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic