[compost_tea] Re: beneficial nematodes

From: tomjasz <tomj_at_lvcm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:35:23 -0000

We have for several years. Here's some info...

http://www.agrobiologicals.com/glossary/G786.htm
Nematoda
Further information about this keyword

Also indexed as: nematodes : roundworms
Also see: Categories: Invertebrata
Sub-categories: Anguina funesta : Globodera spp. : Helicotylenchus
spp. : Heterorhabditis spp. : Meloidogyne spp. : Phasmarhabditis
hermaphrodita : Pratylenchus sp. : Radopholus similis : Rotylenchulus
reniformis : Steinernema spp. : Trichodorus spp. : Tylenchorynchus
spp. : plant pathogenic nematodes

A group of microscopic, worm-like organisms, up to 0.5mm in length,
some of which live parasitically on a wide variety of animals and
plants. Many species of nematode cause serious diseases of humans,
other animals and crops. Other nematode species can be used to
control insect pests and many commercial products based on nematodes
are now available. Some nematodes are pests that attack and kill
plants from beneath the ground, other nematodes are in fact
beneficial and can be used in biological control (Steinernema
carpocapsae). Some nematodes (e.g., Heterorhabditis spp.) form
symbiotic relationships with pathogenic bacteria of the genus
Xenorhabdus. These bacteria convert a variety of media into nutrients
suitable for nematodes. They can, therefore, be used to provide
substrates for mass production of nematodes in vitro. Nematodes are
often sensitive to changes in environmental conditions, temperature,
humidity and UV light. Therefore, commercial interest has focused on
their use in cryptic habitats to control plant-borers and soil-
dwelling insects. The recent development of novel encapsulation and
delivery systems for beneficial nematodes has greatly increased the
potential for their use. Nematodes include: Globodera,
Helicotylenchus, Meloidogyne, Phasmarhabditis, Pratylenchus,
Radopholus, Rotylenchulus, Trichodorus, Tylenchorynchus, Ovomermis,
Heterorhabditis, Steinernema, Noctuidonema, Romanomermis,
Nothanguina, Subanguina and Xenorhabdus.

Steinernema carpocapsae
Further information about this keyword

Also indexed as: Neoaplectana carpocapsae
Also see: Categories: Steinernema spp.

A nematode that can be used to control a range of insects pests. A
formulation of S. carpocapsae immobilised in a polyacrylamide gel has
been developed for the large-scale control of cutworms, corn
rootworms, termites, root weevils and the European cornborer. It has
also been shown that S. carpocapsae can control dogwood and peach
tree borers as well or better than currently recommended broad-
spectrum pesticides. In both studies, nematodes were applied at a
rate of 500 per square inch of

Also see: Steinernema spp.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM