[compost_tea] pH and nutrients - does this chart still apply?

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:23:24 -0400

http://www.avocadosource.com/tools/FertCalc_files/pH.htm

Here is the traditional chart showing the effect of pH on nutrient
availability.

I have heard that pH is not as critical when soil food web is balanced.

What is not clear from the chart is the perspective from which it is
drawing. To what extent is this chart a reflection of a chemical approach
that assumes the grower is laying down inorganic (meaning: mineral form,
ready for immediate plant assimilation) nutrients?

Are the changes reflected purely chemical changes, or can one also
understand changes in biology that may be either caused by or causing the pH
changes? Is this a useful tool in understanding what's going on in the
soil, or are the underlying assumptions too different from what we are doing
with teas?

Any enlightening comments welcome. For now, I am assuming that it is a
useful tool in intervening in bad soil biology situations. What is unclear
is how reflective it is of the nutrient availability and pH readings one
gets in a soil with greatly improved and diversified soil biology.

Chris Reid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM