Re: [compost_tea] Tilling and tea don't mix.

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:26:05 EDT

I like strip tillage a great deal. It leaves most of the soil intact, so you
have a close source of the critters from which to allow colonization.

Sometimes tillage is needed - as when the soil gets to fungal to grow the
plant you want to grow.

Often, the soil is too bacterial, and tillage is not a good idea.

Often, compaction is so severe that the organisms will have to have a great
deal of help in order to work the soil and open up the air passages to allow
air back in. Tillage, followed by getting the biology going again, is more
rapid in this condition than adding the organisms without tillage and hoping they
can break up the hardpan, or compaction, without disturbance.

Talk to Tom Jaszewski about the soil in the lions and tigers cages at the
Mirage in Las Vegas!

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
www.soilfoodweb.com
SFI Oregon, USA
SFI Australia
SFI New York
SFI Europe
SFI New Zealand

"Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn out well,
but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter how things
turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech Republic