[compost_tea] Re: Soil Sampling

From: Steve Diver <steved_at_ncatark.uark.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 04:41:29 -0000

Focus on turfgrass covereage, thickness,
and appearance. Many athletic fields suffer
from inadequate turf care and the vegetation
is sparse. The goal is excellent turfgrass
establishment that is thick and durable.
Good turn reduces risk of injury to players.

Take pictures of the turf with a digital camera
mounted at a fixed height and location above
different spots in the field. Later, take
digital pics from the same location. A
horticulture department can help you turn
the digital images into computer data
that shows plant spread and soil coverage, and
to some extent composition in terms of
grasses vs broadleaves.

You may want to take a standard soil test
showing mineral elemental concentration,
which is what most horticulture people
are familiar with.

But with CT you want to employ microbial
analysis parameters from SFI, for example.

You can also use the NRCS Soil Health Test
Kit to gain insight to compaction, respiration,
infiltration etc. as soil quality indicators.

A sustainable turfgrass program would include
mineral fertilizers, composts, and CT's and/or
related microbials and biostimulants.

ATTRA's publication on sustainable turf
care was recently updated and at 40 pages
it is loaded with useful information and
resources.

Sustainable Turf Care
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/turfcare.pdf

ATTRA's resource list on alternative soil
testing labs provides contact info to soil
test labs offering a range of viewpoints and
analysis methods, and it has references to
soil fertility concepts and soil test
interpretation guides.

Alternative Soil Testing Laboratories
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/soil-lab.html

Best wishes,
Steve Diver
NCAT / ATTRA

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "kevin john richardon"
<kmagic_at_b...> wrote:
> We just recieved notice that the requisition is accepted and to
proceed with our first Muni Parks and Rec job; Hip Hip! Applying TEA
tomorrow to three baseball parks. COOL.

> We want to develop a data set which will reflect the improvement
applications of TEA make to the playing fields. Before applying, we
will be taking soil cores from left, center and right field of each
ballpark. We will then pull cores three weeks after the initial
application and three weeks after each subsequent application (Full
Season Applications are made three times a year, 50 Gal TEA / acre and
appropriate amounts of microbial foods are put down with approx. 2K
Gal H2O per application; dilution dependent on weather and mood).

> This soil sampling aught to help validate the continuation of the
program. Data gives people confidence to say, "Yeah, that stuff IS
doing SOMETHING. The field is BETTER."

> What should we test for to demonstrate improvements?
>
> My thoughts are :
>
> *Total Bacteria and Fungi (I think Active will change over the
coarse of a season and I would like numbers that reflect consistent
progress, thats my thoughts on not testing for Active ?)
> *pH (does SFI test pH ?)(should I do this myself somehow)
> *OM (does SFI report OM % ?)
> *Root Mass, Depth (SFI ?)(or is this just a visual thang)
> *Soil Structure (How is this qualified ?) Porosity?
>
> Any other suggestions? Feedback welcomed and appreciated. Samples
to be taken tomorrow and sent to SFI.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM