[compost_tea] Weeds: Rhizosphere of Spotted Knapweed

From: Merla Barberie <herbnmerla_at_supersat2.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:17:30 -0700

    I am still trying to do a fairbooth on "Microscopic Soil Jubilee."
I am hoping to do three panels: one a broccoli or cabbage with a
bacterial rhizosphere. One a pine tree seedling with ectomycorrhizal
fungi. One a knapweed on the right-of-way.

Does anyone know what critters, if any, like the rhizosphere of
knapweed? I hear that it exudes a substance that excludes other
plants. Does it have microorganisms around it? Are they different from
those around native grass and broadleaf plants? Always looking for some
new approach besides herbicide to discourage the weeds and save the
bugs. What difference does Bio-Dynamic weed pepper for knapweed make in
the soil? What difference if you balance the soil nutrients? Does that
just encourage the grass and do nothing to or for knapweed?

Thanks for anything you can say on this. I bought a new copy of the
Soil Biology Primer and have the Acres USA issue with Elaine on the
cover. I have a good article off the web on the soil food web in a
prairie by the BLM. I've been on lots of sites on the Net. I'll be
demonstrating the Bitti and am hoping to make an earthworm out of some
old pantyhose and paint it with polyurethane to make it look slimy and
drape him/her over the top of the booth. I'll have some enlarged
pictures of the critters. Gosh, I'm busy.

I read an interview with Dr. Arden Anderson and Graeme Sait in
Australia on the net. So many insights into how to raise nutritious
food. I need to somehow relate CT to fertilization and paramagnetism...

I like the idea of having a weed registry. Are you putting it on a
spreadsheet or the word processor? I don't have a spreadsheet. Are you
just interested in weeds in crop situations or do you also want data on
common roadside weeds?

Best,

Merla Barberie
Sandpoint Farmers Market
Rapid Lightning IPM Weed Control Project
Bonner County Noxious Weed Advisory Committee

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM