[compost_tea] Weeds: Rhizosphere of Spotted Knapweed

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:48:46 -0400

Merla,

Regarding the weed spreadsheet, I believe you will be able to view it
without owning a spreadsheet program, but in any case if you have MS Word,
it probably would be importable into the table format of Word. I can save
it in a couple of formats if this becomes an issue.

So far, we have a couple of partial pieces of data, and no complete data
from anyone since O offered to put this together. We have a more
sophisticated offer to create a website which would require funds. I do not
know if there is further news on responses to that offer, but there is no
reason not to go ahead with this low-tech solution while Kenny and Mike sort
out whether something fancier can or will be done in some other venue.

This subject here is narrower -- use of beneficial organisms and compost tea
in service of limiting or eliminating nondesirable plants from crops,
landscape, or roadsides OR restoration sites. Weeds or invasive plants in
crops, landscapes, or roadsides are all fine. Different e-group members
have different goals, and one person's crop weed is another person's
roadside or landscape invasive. Compost teas are one of a number of
management strategies that might be chosen to attempt to get rid of these
plants; it is not THE strategy of choice in every case (in other words, it
is NOT a magic bullet, it is a tool to be used intelligently), but it will
be interesting.

If anyone reading this is unsure whether to put their weed work "on the
table", I am encouraging you to do so! There is no reason not to. It will
either work or it won't, and we will all learn from you no matter how it
turns out. The main thing is to get out there, get dirty, and get in the
game! Ya-HOO!

So Merla, I hope you'll send any info you may have on this topic. Maybe
you'll encourage others to do so. Remember, folks -- no tickee, no
laundry -- no weed data, no weed spreadsheet/table/database! This is a step
to collecting information all in one place so that rather than searching the
archives for many messages, you can come to one place and see what
contributors are up to as regards weeds.

At this point, it is not clear to me whether people have no data to share,
or choose not to share unless others are going to provide them with
something of value. You are welcome to reply to me privately in this
regard. The terms on which people share their information vary, and I
respect that.

I have worked on other lists with high membership/low participation, and we
have made a rule that to get the output, you must provide input. Everybody
contributing data got back data, and the data was not offered to the
majority of people on the site who read but did not write. That's an
option. I just need to know who's serious about putting together weed data
and what your conditions for participation are, and we will get this show on
the road.

Cheers,

Chris Reid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM