[compost_tea] hang'n tuff

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2003 10:29:55 -0000

I like this approach, a nice local solution.

It has been suggested that in our attempt to improve the microbiology in soils for plants through the application of tea, one may brew a tea with the intention of growing a high number of organisms with great diversity of species or attempt to propegate high numbers of specific organisms for use with plants known to be benefit from their association. The diversity approach lends to high quality tea, good for general use, most likely providing species of microorganisms plants may select from that will provide benefit. The specific approach has great potential to provide the organisms that will be of most benefit to a particular species of plant in high numbers.

Dr. Ingham, you have a library of soils sampled form places where specific plants are indeginous and known to their best, therefore having the set of organisms present that aid in the plants livlihood?

It stands to reason, by using starter material consisting of the exact microbiology present in the root zone of a particular species of plant (granted the sample is taken from the root zone of a plant doing well), you will most likely brew a tea high in the number of those specific microorganisms helping the plant species to thrive. Logical approach to brewing quality, plant specific tea.

I like it, Elizabeth, I would suggest gathering material at the time you intend to begin a brew to most closely grow the set of organisms active and prevalent in the root zone at the time. Maybe that you want to take multiple samples over the course of the day, as environmental changes may cause fluctuation in species composition. Please keep us informed as you progress.

By the way, I am hang'n hard core with Mister Bob Norsen in Seattle and we are just haven a good ole time brew'n, apply'n, talk'n an diliberat'n TEA, eat'n sweet peaches grown with applications of TEA, making brewer parts and pieces, testing TEA with our DO meters like a couple tech weenie computer geeks on a friday nite, experimenting with nutrients and throwing microbial foods down, squirting colloidal Silver in our eyes (ask Bob, I just did it to be a good guest, kidding, Bob my eyes feel a lot better! Thanks fer tha Silver), eatting Donna's good cooking, she makes some mean Halibut and a juicy Salmon, speculating on gas wells, evaluating the possible changes in communities of microorganisms present in our TEAS at any given moment due to a change in factor such as DO or the addition of food during brew? holding on to the brew? holding and adding food? adding food immediately prior to application? double choc. chip cookies with nuts, transportting TEA actively aerated vs.
  discontinueing aeration; change in % of beneficials vs. anaerobes over unit time? important? or is it more a q of anaerobic byproduct production?

Thanks for reading that rubble, I am posing thoughts we have considered, not necessarily asking for specific answers, yet, definately exceeded the one q per transmission request.

Here is the most interesting:

extensive testing AT the SFI LAB to answer Q's? OK?

I propose a One Hundred Dollar contribution to be made to ICTC set aside for tests to be performed. Every Hundo that you contribute buys you one vote to be tallied with all the others. With your contribution please state what you are interested in finding out about TEA through consecutive testing. State WHAT you want to know and HOW we can find that out by testing. Thoughts?

Ime sending my check (No tell'n who may buy the pot, so don't be shy}. I hope yall will contribute your thoughts and resources to shape and make an effort like this significant, worthwhile and happen.

You got Q's? Let's get answers!

Tops on my list: how to brew large volumes of TEA (300,400,500, 1000 Gal +) economically (nutrients get to be spendy). TEA should be brewed in Application tank so the number of organisms acieved in the unit volume of H2O sufficiently satisfy the requirements for the unit of area to be applied (at desired ranges set forth by SFI, I apply 50 Gal per Acre, so I am assuming that I can brew a 500 Gal batch, test and have results 1/10 of the desired range and be satisfactory for App of the 500 Gal to One Acre. Is there a coorelation between using the same amount of compost and nutrient used to consistantly brew 50 Gal of excellent! TEA in 500 Gal H2O (given adjustment/increase in active aeration to achieve adequate O2 required for increase in volume). This is easy to set up as extraction in ANY tank is made easy by Bob O.

When organisms are left aerated for longer than "normal" brewing cycle is it possible to see continued increase in organism reproduction? Dependant on nutrrient availability most likely? I took a super 50 Gal batch of TEA at approx. 24 Hr of brewing, added it to 65F H2O to Total 500 Gal. Took another test at 48 Hr. Using logic stated above, can I multiply my results by ten to compare results with the original TEA?

Check out test three (date should be 081203)(24 Hr) and test four 081303 (48 Hr).

test five 081303 is interesting. 15 Lbs 3 Day Activated AH (ok, so the kid is just spoiled rotten) nutrient adequate for 100 Gal brew (per Jeff Lowenfels, yes, weve got a couple cards up the sleeve) , 300 Gal Seventyish F, well H2O with 250 Watt heater set at 71F, Bob O (AND the deck is stacked) siitting in the middle of a Norwesco brand 525 Gal Leg Tank with extra air pump (same as one aerating chamber) pushing air from bottom center of tank (beautiful action!) Can these #'s be multiplied by 3 in order to compare them to the desired range for teas made with these materials in 100 Gal H2O? Does the extra room provided by higher volume H2O create environment for greater propegation of microbes?

enuff for now. lets keep learning, tho.

flying with two Bob O's to do work in New England,
Kev

Kevin John Richardson
Local Solutions
19025 Villages Scenic Pkwy