Re: [compost_tea] Aphids

From: Steve Bridges <kimas_at_texasgrown.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:10:12 -0500

One thing that I think many are missing is that there is a balance in Natu=
re. You've got good bugs and you've got bad bugs. If everything is in bala=
nce, you're going to have a few bad bugs doing bad things to your plants, b=
ut the good bugs are going to keep the bad bugs in check. Much like a a wel=
l run, educated populace might run a community of people, but hey, that's a=
nother subject (a sorely needed one!....sorry).

I think that it is absurd and going completely against the nature of things=
 to think that we're are going to complete rid our plants or our gardens of=
 bad bugs with ANYTHING. And we DON"T WANT TO!

If you get rid of the aphids, what are the ladybugs going to stay around fo=
r?

If you let the wasps thrive, you won't have a problem with tent catepillars=
 (at least here in Texas)!

If you destroy the whole gamut of "bad bugs" what are the lacewings going t=
o consume? The Giant Wheel Bugs? Trichogamma wasps? Encarsia Formosa? Lizar=
ds, birds, and horny toads? And all the predators in the soil?

This is not directed at you Jeff. But it seems that there is too much empha=
sis placed on "killing all the bad bugs" when what we need to be doing is c=
reating habitats and conditions right for encouraging the natural state of =
things. Let us not fall into the Pest Control business.

I'm with Susan Cruver. Let's not overblow this AACT. And let us not forget =
that we are operating within that set forth by Nature.

AACT is but another tool in the box. It is not the be-all, end-all for all =
our wishes or problems.

A few aphids, let them live to feed those glorious lady beetles.

Steve Bridges
Kimas Tejas Nursery