[compost_tea] WEED DATABASE

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2003 14:04:00 -0000

Willing to share. Tell me what you want to know; I am not sure I have anything for you, yet, qualify what data you want, please.

I recieved great feedback on how to test ballfields that TEA is being applied to in order to reflect with data if TEA is having beneficial effect. I have combined a couple ideas which may provide as a good baseline for gathering data on the effectiveness of TEA in its ability to aid desired species of plants in outcompeteing weed species (in general- specific relationships, meaning identification of plant species present in the community, may be necessary, would definately provide greater understanding) and here is what we are planning on doing ASAP:

Hoola hoop(s) thrown into field at random (unsure if random sampling will be "better" or if specific delineated area is more suitable for test data collection, please respond)

Species present within area of hoop identified and counted

Digital photograph taken of area inside hoop

This picture may be compared with future pictures to reflect total vegetation and Mr. Diver wrote (I need to investigate) that a computer will be able to analyze the photos and numerically represent total vegetative coverage. I think he also said the species will show up as different colors so that individual species composition of the area will also be quantified? COOL!, if TRUE?

This is where I am at. IDEAS. I return to ANC in one week; I have extended tis trip to include a visit to Magic Valley, IDAHO with Mr. Gore. EXCITED! Also spending some more time with Mr. Norsen and Giavonni (last name ?) in Seattle. COOL!?!

Upon return I will be implementing this strategy. Please feedback. Include the other data you wish to represent on the said "WEED DATABASE" so I can begin to gather as well.

Thanks, Peace,

Kev