Re: [compost_tea] Pump & Volume Questions

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:55:28 -0700 (PDT)

Kirk, have you seen Kevin's report on a 50 g BobO at 80+ TF with 7+G TB, attained with Jeffs magic stuff ! All air driven. Bob

And earlier, Doc said:
> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:38:14 EDT
> From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: pump questions

> Pumps that blow air into the tea work fine, if you test the
> aeration and mixing ability. Pumps that push the tea through
> the pump have to be tested to make sure aeration is adequate,
> and that they are not killing things. <

So I still wonder if tea pumping (vs. air pumping) is a good idea. Several
tea pump systems have also presented heating problems. It seems like no
more than stirring the water mechanically and I can't see how it ADDS any
oxygen. I can see that oxygen is released and I assume oxygen is being
taken in at the surface at the same time, but I can't see how oxygen is
bolstered in any way. If organisms or the nutrient load are challenging
oxygen conditions, it sure seems better to be pumping air into the tea.
Hmm?

> When making the tea, try to use the largest container you think
> you can handle, one thing I learned at the NOFA conference is
> that you acheive higher activity in 50 gallow batches than
> in 30 gallon batches... <

Is there data for this assertion somewhere? One of the best performing
machines out there seems to be the 5 gallon KIS unit. (A relatively massive
air pumper, by the way, if you can stand the whine... an Alita AL40, a
linear air pump also available at aquaticeco.com, can produce the same roil
much more peacefully... :-)

Kirk L

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT