[compost_tea] Offer to Create Best Practices Lists

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:17:27 -0400

Jason Austin said:

Some of those lurkers have been snapped at in recent months, that'll
drive people for cover pretty quick. More tolerance to "dumb"
questions will probably see more activity. There will be dumb
questions; there will be questions that have been asked and answered
before; but that is what a list is all about, people come and go.

Jason's post reminds me that on lists, it is a challenge to go back through
old posts and figure out the answer to your questions. Yes, people do come
and go on a list and making it easy to learn as people join can help more
people be up to speed more quickly, and raise us all to new levels of
expertise much faster.

I offered to compile weed test results (a couple of people responded but no
one has sent any data). I also offer to compile and put in document form
other group information. Here is an example of what we could collect and
make available, especially to new list members:

1. Our compiled list of BEST PRACTICES FOR BREWING, including tips we have
learned about cleaning equipment, water type and pH, aeration before
brewing, temperature, container size and shape. This can be an ongoing list
of BPs and as people learn from making and testing teas, we can add to the
list or append/annotate.

2. BEST PRACTICES - TEA SPRAYING: Our similar compiled list of BPs for
spraying teas, including specific information about equipment, pressure,
nozzle types, spray technique, weather conditions, and other "learned the
hard way" info.

3. Ditto for BEST PRACTICES - TEA APPLYING

4. RECIPES AND RESULTS: A list of recipes and test results for those
willing to share their SFI test and the ingredients they combined to get the
result. (This would be intended as a starting point for people, rather than
with any implication that if I make your recipe I will necessarily come up
with the same results.)

5. BREWER OBSERVATIONS - A table formatted to show consumer observations
about their brewers: are they easy or difficult to clean? Are there
caveats to using it? When you have used other brewers, what comparison
would you make about the features? This feedback can also be given to
manufacturers for their comment or ideas to use in improving their product
or simply confirming the usefulness of their current design.

For example, the recent question related to spraying and spray nozzles
clogging could be more easily answered if we had a list of nozzles, where to
get them, and what firsthand experience had taught us about using those
nozzles.

We are amassing a shared body of information and knowledge here, and it
seems wasteful for each and every person to have to design a way to capture
the info and store it so that it will be easily retrievable.

If anyone wants to do this, JUMP RIGHT IN! I will start tracking and making
the lists when you start responding. Don't miss this big chance to be heard
and have your wisdom recorded in the Golden Archives of this CT e-group!

To begin basking in your 15 minutes of fame, just send a post with a heading
that copies one of the TITLES IN CAPS in the numbered areas listed above.
Please send multiple posts if you have multiple observations, so these posts
can be sorted out by TOPIC and put in an electronic folder as I collect them
for making the lists and tables. Don't forget -- what is obvious to you now
was not obvious when you started! The simplest tip will help the beginner.

Please note whether or not you have tested the teas produced by the method
you are suggesting. Untested methods will be listed as IDEAS/UNTESTED
METHODS. If others read the list and discover an idea/untested method for
which they have already tested, we then would welcome and add their
information on the results the methods have produced for them.

If you find that this suggestion would be of value, please vote with your
ACTION. I'd rather not debate it -- I'd rather just get it done!

Cheers,

Chris Reid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM