Re: [compost_tea] Gallons/Acre/Price

From: kevin john richardon <kmagic_at_backpacker.com>
Date: 16 Sep 2003 22:43:43 -0000

Agreed James, Pricing is regionally specific as well as individually based. The cost of doing business, the way you choose to do it, in your area, is what it is (for now until it becomes more expensive and/or you make discoveries which reduce your costs, increase your margins). And a specific job of X SQFT may cost different than another of equal SQFT due to circumstance-(s). A diclaimer which reads to the effect: "pricing subject to variability..." may prove wise.

My Father sees no need to publish prices; he operates by quotation and sees it satisfactory. My Price Sheet is something I developed initially from my Business Plan for my own puposes and dressed it up in case I decided to go public with it or to give to those with an associated business interest, so that they would have something to work with and relate to there customers when dicussing Tea as an option.

Maybe my prices are low. Good, I want to develop a reputation of being fair. I also want to remain in biz. It is very tuff, but I have attempted to set a price that I will not have to raise (at least anytime soon) and one that will be not only accepted, but fair to the consumer and one that will not be undermined by future competion and reveal me as "taking folks to the cleaners"(I would be embarrassed, even if I didn't mean it). Ive done the business plan and have run it over much to the same conclusion; it does not have excessive room for the unknowns of the future but I figured in much of everything I forsee (hopefully there is enuff padding for things I may have missed). Sense? Time will tell if I stay in business!?

The running of the business is fascinating, time consuming and quite a juggle with all the other aspects included in what it takes to get tea out there. Ide enjoy collaborating with you. Price fixing wont do anyone any good (same as subsidies). Economics is a great equalizer. Truth and fairness is what Ime after and a great program that works. With that in place, premium clients will be happy to write the check AND give great referals. Pretty basic. Its choosing the parts of the entire system (which makes the tea program happen tea program happen), the numbers associated with that system and how they work together that is complicated.

I would enjoy discussing these items with you. We have an office in Marshfield, MASS and a TEA Center in Washington, CONN (also on the good side of the Hudson; some great Ag going on in the area). Working together, we will be ahead, running, established, recognized and successful.

Thanks for responding, hope to talk more soon. Thank you for your time and consideration, James.

Regards,
Kevin