Re: [compost_tea] drip irrigation

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:53:48 +0800

Mike Daniels,
Correction to last post 100 mesh equals 141 micron.

According to "Drip Irrigation" by Netafim Australia following is what to do=
.
1. Flush all mains and submains and divide irrigated are into smallest plot=
s and treat individually
2 Check pumping rate. required dose of 30% phos acid is 1 litre per cubic m=
etre of discharge.
3 Test max discharge of inject pump (or venturi) use only injectors etc tha=
t are acid resistant.
4 Prepare volume of solution equal to one tenth the hourly discharge rate o=
f the injector pump ( or venturi etc).
CAUTION add acid to water never water to acid.
5 Start injector with irrigation system operating.
6 Check pH at the furthermost lateral with meter or litmus paper. The requ=
ired pH is 4.0.
7Continue irrigation for 30 to 60 mins. The irrigation should then stop and=
 water left in the lines for about one hour.
8Flush the whole system.
Example of calculation required.
Pump discharge 20m3per hour
Injector pump rate 250 litre per hour
Acid required (1Lper m3) 20 litres
total solution required 250 + 10 =25 litres
Therefore add 20 litres of acid to 5 litres of water to make up to the 25 =
litres.

The phos acid is Tech grade 95% (or is it 85%) phos acid available in 200 l=
itre drums. Cost around $1.20 a litre??
Regards Mike Harvey
New Life Soils www.composttea.com.au