Re: [compost_tea] Re: Testing tea has to be done properly.....

From: Paul Sachs <pdsachs_at_localnet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:05:29 -0400

Dennis,

I've posted all my conditions on the page: http://www.norganics.com/Test7-1=
7.pdf.

Paul Sachs
North Country Organics
P.O. Box 372
203 Depot St
Bradford, VT 05033
802.222.4277
fax 802.222.9661
pds_at_norganics.com
www.norganics.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: dkemnitz2000
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 9:15 PM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: Testing tea has to be done properly.....

  ---Thanks Paul. There is some difference though, between the
  samples. I have to go back to conversion tables to get
  micrograms/mls to bacteria/ml and I'd GUESS 8.1 micrograms/mls is a
  bunch of bacteria in 300 gallons finished product or more importantly
  in the 15-25 gallons applied/acre..Being familiar with only standard
  plating techniques I haven't been able to discern how SFI
  differentiates active and total but am eagerly waiting to learn.
  Thanks again though. I can't help but notice some of your samples
  total bacteria are in thousands(ug/ml) while others are in hundreds.
  Did you post differences between recipes,procedures, etc of samples?
  And also I notice all your samples are well into the desired range,
  if not way beyond! That's gotta be exciting. Dennis

  In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, <pdsachs_at_l...> wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> If you go to http://www.norganics.com/tests.html look at the two
  test
> results for 5/16/03. The first was taken at the end of the brew
  cycle and
> put in the refrigerator until Fed Ex came to pickup. The second
  sample
> (from the same batch) was left aerating for four hours after the
  first
> sample was drawn. I didn't see a significant difference.
> Paul Sachs
> >

> > ---Great topic Jeff. I was wanting to ask some of these questions.
> >
> > Maybe you need duplicates??????? Does anyone cool smpls before
> > shipment( like until shipment to SFI)?&nbsp; The dairy industry
  stores
> > micro (raw milk)samples on ice enroute to lab and micro samples
  must
> > be plated(tested) not later than 36 hours after collection......Of
> > course they have their way of doing things!!!!
> > &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anyone taken samples before and after
> > filters and/or nozzle tips to determine effect of filters and
  tips?
> > Dennis from the crusty old food lab
> >

> > In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, &quot;Jeff Lowenfels&quot;
> > jeff_at_g... wrote: &gt; Folks, how are you taking samples for
> > testing??????Some folks are&nbsp; having trouble duplicating
  results
> > using the same stuff.....
> > &gt;
> > &gt; The correct way is to get a REPRESENTATIVE tea&nbsp; sample.
  You
> > need to keep the machine going,&nbsp; take five or so small
  samples
> > and that is what gets tested.&nbsp; If you are decanting the tea
  and
> > taking samples from the solids in the bottom, that is 'cheating'
  and
> > gives
> > unrepresentational higher fungal numbers.....this is not the way
> > go.
> > &gt;
> > &gt; Cheers,
> > &gt;
> > &gt; Jeff
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> > compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

  Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor