[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Organic and Sustainable

In article <4m4v44$did@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, BRateaver
<brateaver@aol.com> writes
>The use of the word: SUSTAINABLE, is senseless if to be added to the term:
>organic.

To: B. Rateaver

Perhaps this reply is niave to your geographical context and to your
anger directed at commercial organisations willing to take advantage of
leading edge movements.

Sustainability is a alive and well in Europe, check out
http://www.shef.ac.uk/~ec the home page of The Earth Centre, an
international centre for educational sustainable developement.

What does this mean with great respect to the organic movement?

We need a base standard that is ecologically sound - this must be
organic. But we also need and must keep pace with human development, its
impact and the growing drain on natural resources. Sustainablility is a
comprimise, it recognises production without comprimising ecological
balance and animal welfare standards.

Is it so wrong to strive towards harmony between human and natural
environments?

Can the organic movemnt keep pace with demand?

with thanks

Stephen Bedford Clark

--
Stephen Bedford Clark