[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

cardboard mulch: dioxins and phenolic residues? an approximation.

LINDA J. FELCH wrote:

> d scalzo (scalzod@fred.fhcrc.org) wrote:
> : Does anyone have info about dioxins and phenolic residues in cardboard?

> I've also wondered about this as I've sheet mulched using cardboard ...
> I'd also appreciate info on the subject.	In the interim since I posted this question, I've come upon some
info.
	Chemicals in cardboard depend.  On what?
	a) the manufacturer,
	b) recycled content,
	c) color/print,
	d) intended contents.
	Of these four, b thru d can be somewhat controlled by one who
intends to mulch.
	The greater the recycled content, the smaller amount of dioxins.
How to tell? Sometimes says on the box, sometimes not.  You have to speak
to the manufacturer (of the corrugation, not the box - see below).
	White (bleach) equates dioxins.  Try to stay away from colors.
Print can have undeterminable history.  I've heard newsprint is soy based
don't know about corrugation print.
	Corrugation intended to store foodstuffs are glued with starch.
In order to avoid unkown glue residues, food boxes are recommended.
	Finally the manufacturer.  I spoke with two manufacturers of
corrugation and they both corrabated each others' story (from which the
above info was gleaned).  It wasn't clear from them whether you can tell
who manufactured the corrugation that makes up the box you want to use.
With this in mind they gave the above recommendations on using
corrugation for mulch.  I've looked on a couple boxes since then and
have only seen a stamp from the box maker, not the corrugation producer.
	If anyone has any more info about all this, let me know and I'll
post some summary of it all.  Maybe someone might know the history of
colored newsprint, and even glossy magazine stock.