[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New California "Organic" Farms

JohnRo wrote:

> I'm looking for information on California farms newly converted to
> "organic" production.

California Certified Organic Farmers publishes a list of organic farms it certifies in
California. This includes years certified. It is available for $5 (for printing,
postage and handling) to CCOF, 1115 Mission St., Santa Cruz, CA  95060.

> Are California standards really more lax than those of other
> states/certifying organizations?
> The short answer is "No." The long answer is that California was one of the first states
to define organic and enforce that standard of identity. The law has been used as a
model by most other states and National program.  All states are adjusting and
converging in anticipation of the implementation of a Federal standard. In the
meantime, while many are disappointed with the lack of enforcement in California, it
appears to be a more active and viable program than other states. The California law and
standards are also available for $5 for pph from the above address.