[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Managing soil fertility

Joel and all on soil quality testing--

The Carrington (ND) Research Extension Center just completed a three
year multi-state project looking for user-friendly soil quality
measures.  One of the things developed was a soil testing kit that
included ways of testing biological activity, infiltration rates, as
well as nutrients. I'm not a scientist, so I can't give you details.
One of the goals was to give farmers a tool to see whether their
management practices were improving soil quality.

Contact the Carrington station, 701-652-2951, and ask for John Gardner.
Those of you within university systems maybe able to track down his
email address--I don't have it. He's superintendent of the Carrington
Research Extension Center, part of North Dakota State University.

Sue Retka Schill
Northern Plains Sustainable Agriculture Society.