[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sustainable Aquaculture

In article <u5uRABA0G4YyEw3t@fishace.demon.co.uk>, Stephen Bedford Clark
<sbc@fishace.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <Pine.SGI.3.91r.961014204807.20600J-100000@freenet>, Brian K
>Petroski <petroski@freenet.msp.mn.us> writes
>>On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Stephen Bedford Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Does this newsgroup still cover the issues and development of
>>> sustainable freshwater aquaculture?.
SNIP

>>                           Brian Petroski
>>

>Dear Brian,
>
>Depends very much on your local species and the levels of dissolved
>oxygen in the water.
>
>Obviously, you want to produce fish which is acceptable to your taste.
>
>Carnivorous species (trout, bass, catfish) would compete with the
>crayfish, so it would need to be a omnivore/herbivore such as the common
>carp. This fish is cultured in Asia & Europe for food and could be
>introduced to your system.
SNIP

>Stephen
>
>A list of services and experience are available at:
>http://www.fishace.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Dear Stephen

How competive are brown trout when mixed with Signal crayfish. I have
both in the same pond but because of the acidity of the water and high
summer temperatures the trout numbers are low. However, is this low
number still sufficient to seriously impact the growth of my crayfish
population. I would rather raise the crayfish than the trout as the
latter often taste slightly muddy.

Stuart.
--
S.C.Webb