[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: International Organic Markets?

75557.3256@compuserve.com (Ignacio Villa) wrote:
>I know that this discussion must have passed through the mill before, but I
>thought maybe I might ask the question...
>
>How "green" is a soybean grown in the Midwest and shipped to Japan?

Soybeans do not grow very easily in the Midwest and are one of the
heaviest sprayed crops, so the answer should be "not at all". There was
an interesting book called "Bloodties" by Ted Kerosote, and when he was
shilling it on NPR he mentioned that soybean production is incredibly
unfriendly to animals because of the spraying, habitat destruction and
the killing of animals accidentally during harvest
--
Karen Stark
ks36@cornell.edu

We are like a big fish that has been pulled from the water and is
flopping wildly to find its way back in. In such a condition the fish
never asks where the next flip or flop will bring it. It senses only that
its present position is intolerable and that something else must be
tried.

                                                      Chinese saying
quoted by Perry Link in "China in Transformation"