[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ecological Economics and Entropy

In article <5639ue$2ll@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>, jw <jwas@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>In <55s4ct$2d@newsy.ifm.liu.se> redin@lysator.liu.se (Magnus Redin)
>writes:
>>
>>Jay Hanson <jhanson@ilhawaii.net> writes:
>>> Our future was sealed when we went over our solar budget.
>
>Our energy consumption is only about 0.00007 of our solar budget...

 Incorrect. If you want to start thinking in terms of a solar budget,
 then you must also account for the percentage of the solar influx
 used by the plant life we need just to continue to eat and breathe.
 And then there's the component used by the oceans to maintain
 currents (Europe might get a tad irritated if we managed to shut down
 the Gulfstream), now the fraction used by the atmosphere to maintain
 circulation, that which transfers water from the ocean back to land
 masses.....

 You first need to work out the fraction that can safely be re-routed
 for our use before calculating what percent we use.

--
rha