[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NAL Internet Service (fwd)

Dear Mr. French:

Following is the message I usually send out on internet, including an address:

The National Agricultural Library's Reference Section accepts
requests for  reference services over the internet at address
agref@nalusda.gov.  There is nothing to subscribe to and no form
to fill out. Just send your information inquiry to the internet
address and we will answer it as if it were a mailed-in reference
question.

Your inquiry will be  assigned to a reference librarian who will
prepare a reply, most likely  based on a search of AGRICOLA,
NAL's database.

Because reference replies frequently require us to mail
attachments, for our  convenience please include a post office
mailing address in your request.

NAL began charging for reference services in 1986.  Reference
services are  provided free as long as they can be done within
the threshold  limits, which are one hour of the librarian's time
(at $11.00 per hour) and $25.00 commercial  search fees. We will
stay within the threshold limit unless you authorize  us to
exceed it. Exceeding the threshold would incur a $10.00 billing
fee in addition to  the excess, but the first hour and $25.00
would be free in any case. (Certain groups, such as USDA
employees making work-related requests, are exempt from the above
fees.)

Sincerely,
John B. Forbes, Head
Reference Section