[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Your Opinion on needed INDOOR EDIBLE, Please!

On Sat, 22 Jun 96 11:57:49 PST, "Ralph D. Arnold"
<rarnold@teleport.com> wrote:

>NEEDED:  an edible vegetable or herb that:
>+can grow under "normal indoor lighting"...indoors under regular (somewhat
>low) flourescent lighting...absolutely no direct sunlight.

Can growth lights be used?

>+can flourish in temp. range of about 65-75 deg. F.

Most plants will find this a comfortable range.

>+can grow in a mixture of 1 part composted steer manure/1 part peet moss
>with 6% gypsum,  watered daily.

May need some sand or percolite added to promote good drainage.  Over
watering can be a problem on some crops.

>+grows fast, but can be harvested in a way that allows it to remain in
>container for several months (i.e. not radishes).

Mushrooms, lettuce, mints, watercress, pepper plants.

>+has a high cash value...can be marketed for money, especially if grown in
>large amounts.

Take a look at growing licensed medicinal herbs.

>This candidate will be "co-cultured" with another species.  Preferably,
>each species would be a "cost-center", justifying its' use.

Lots of luck.The real problem for most herbal/ vegetable crops need
'full sunlight'.  Sounds like an attempt at a legal basement crop.
Rough job.

>Please post your comments to this newsgroup or email me.  If I receive
>enough responses, I'll try to post a summary.
>
>Thank you!
>
>Ralph Arnold in Oregon <rarnold@teleport.com>

Vandy Terre
vandy@avana.net