[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Leucaena

> "The foliage contains a posonous amino acid, mimosine, that causes loos of hair
> in some animals. However, useful as cattle feed in a 1:2 leucaena:grass ratio."
>
> There is more info on uses and culture. If you can't get a copy, let me know if
> you want more of the article printed here.

Leucaena was mainly planted in the Northern Transvaal areas of South
Africa as a firewood tree, for which (I believe) it is eminently
suited, since it is fast growing.  Other uses were secondary.

Last I heard they were having problems because L is susceptible to
some disease (viral? fungal?) making its way southwards through
Africa.

(Between houses, all reference info in boxes, so no more available
right now...)

Mike Morris                     We do not inherit land from our ancestors
Mike.Morris@iplan.co.za         We borrow it from our children.

Ph: +27-21-788-4171        Cape Town, South Africa        34.40'S 18.30'E