[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DEER CONTROL HELP NEEDED

You wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Sep 1995 TroyBogdan@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Next season I will invest in an electric fence.  I have talked to a
few fence
>> companies and it seems like each company recommends a different
fence setup.
>>  Does anybody have any proven fence setups or suggestions.  We are
probably
>> going to fence in about a two acre field.
>
>I am an organic grower also and will be fencing 2-3 acres of my six.
>An electric fence is all you will need to keep them completely out
>of your garden. You will need to use the right equipment and install
it
>properly.
>
>Specs:
>
>1) 8' galvanized, painted T-posts with plastic screw-on insulators.
>2) The hottest charger you can get - New Zealand types are best but
>   pricey, may be overkill anyway - American-made brands will probably
be
>   adequate (International is a good brand).
>3) 1-3 8' copper-clad ground rods driven into ground under charger.
>   Use heavy copper wire (10 gauge minimum) to connect charger to them
>   Best not to install your charger near your electric service -
>   lightning strikes are more likely to take your charger out in that
>   situation (I've lost 2 that way). Connect hot lead to fence with 10

>   gauge copper wire using a brass clamp.
>3) 14-gauge galvanized steel wire - minimum; don't use aluminum (no
matter
>   what advice you get to the contrary) and don't use lighter than 14
gauge.
>   Use 12 1/2 gauge hi-tensile 200 lb.-test wire for the
>   lines they are likeliest to run into, 14 gauge is OK for the rest.
>4) Space the lines 16" to 28" apart from the ground up - the first
>   4 lines are critical, the remaining uppermost ones can be spaced
>   further apart - you absolutely don't want them going between the
wires.
>5) Turn the fence charger off as infrequently as possible.
>6) Initially, bait the fence with peanut butter and corn in aluminum
>   foil boats hung from the middle wire (about 3' from ground)
>   They quickly catch on and avoid the fence. Their feeding pattern
>   gets disrupted and they move to other areas. They always know
>   when the fence is on and will avoid it - they usually won't come
>   closer than 30-40 '.
>
>This will absolutely keep them out of your garden. Nothing less
>will work and no more is neccessary.

>Lawrence F. London, Jr. - london@sunSITE.unc.edu
>http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/Information_By_Topic.html
>http://sunSITE.unc.edu/london/permaculture.html
> RECENT ARTICLE SHOWED A NEW WAY LAY FENCE
                X   X
                X      X
                X         X
                X            X
                X               X

    U RUN THE TOP WIRE ONLY FROM THE POST AND HANG
    A FIBERGLASS POLE PREDRILLED POST THRU THE TOP
    LAYOUT IN 45 DEGREE  THEN RUN ALL OTHER STRAND S
     THRU POLE ......THIS IS WAS USED BY APPLE GROWERS
    IN MINN . THE DEER WOULD HAVE CLEAR 6 FT HIGH AND
    6 LONG RATHER THAN STRAIGHT 8 FT HIGH THAT CAN JUMP.
     THE MINN EXTENSION MAY HAVE MORE INFO ON DESIGN.