Re: Tools for Small CSA's

Rfarm:

You don't mention what tool you use for tillage.  While I use
(temporarily, until we can get a spader)  a tractor, moldboard plow, and
disk for sodbusting/primary tillage, my standby for bed finishing, spot
tilling and cultivation is an 8 HP BCS rototiller, middle of the line
(they make 'em up to 14 horse).  IMO, this one is far superior to the
Troy-Bilt Horse...though I used the latter happily for several years.
The BCS is made in Italy with a U.S. made engine.  2 grand and worth it.

There are those who say rototillers are the worst thing you can use on
garden soil...that they mix up the soil layers and homogenize soil
particles all to the same size.  Not my experience at all on our heavy
clay when the tilling is done under the right moisture conditions.

Woody Wodraska--Seeking Common Ground CSA
Honeoye Falls, NY          woodyw@juno.com
"There is no scarcity abiding in Nature;
Any scarcity we see is our own doing."
http://www.biodynamics.com/csa/scg.html