Full Circle Organic Farm- 11/26/97 (Recipes-long)

Your Week's Worth  11/26/97 from Full Circle Organic Farm, 3377 Early Times
Ln, Auburn, CA (916) 885-9201

1 lb Mesclun salad              1 bu Broccoli
1 bu  Baby carrots               3 lb Sweet potatoes
3/4 lb green beans              3 lb     Yukon Gold or German
1/4 lb  Snow peas or Snap pea      Butterball potatoes
2      Sweet peppers                   3 lb  Fuji apples
1  Rouge Vif D'Temps or            2 Pomegranites
       Lakota Winter  squash

Giving Thanks
  We are thankful this week for  YOU,  who have chosen to support Full Circle
Organic Farm through your share purchase, your prayers, and your labor.  We
are thankful for all of YOU who go that extra mile (sometimes literally) to
bring shares to your area, and bring people to the Farm, helping create a
greater sense of community.  To those of you who have reached out to other
shareholders in a personal way, participated in workdays, and feasts, we are
especially thankful, YOU are actively creating the Community we all want.  We
are thankful for our fellow farmers, who chose to grow organic produce,
sustaining the land and allowing us access to crops we don't have space for,
or that failed.  We are especially grateful for the Smiths and Bryan Kaminsky
who actively work with us to create a greater sense of Community among local
growers.
  The sweet potatoes are from Nigel and Francis at Eatwell Farms in Winters,
potatoes are from Happy Boy Farms in Watsonville and another coastal farm.
 Pomegranites are from our friend Sally in Lincoln.  They make wonderful
garnishes in the salad or the sweet potato casserole.
  A stuffed squash makes a beautiful, seasonal meal centerpiece for
vegetarian families to carve and share.  Make sure your dressing is firm and
keep it with the squash slice rather than scooping it out.  The sides are
traditionally based and low-fat.A Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu
Mesclun Salad with Wanut-Mustard Dressing*
Yogurt Mashed Potatoes (microwaveable)*
Sweet Potato, Apple and Cranberry Casserole (microwaveable)*
Steamed Broccoli Florets and Carrots
Green Onion and Sesame Corn Muffins*
Winter Squash with Stuffing Variations*
Mushroom Gravy*
Pumpkin or Apple Pie
  This meal works as either a buffet or  sit down.

       Walnut Mustard Salad Dressing
4 T  mayonnaise, regular or low-fat 1 1/2 T grainy Dijon mustard
4 T  lemon juice, fresh   1 t          honey
2 T  olive oil + 2 T    walnut oil  1 c  walnuts, toasted & coarsely
      chopped
   Combine all ingredients except nuts  in small bowl. Whisk to blend well.
Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
  Add dressing; to salad and toss to coat evenly. Divide salad among 4
plates. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve.
  This dressing works well over chilled steamed veggies like green beans
carrots and potatoes.

Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
1 lb  mixed fresh  mushrooms such as cremini, oyster, or shiitake
4 lg garlic cloves, minced 1/2 c dry red wine (opt) or 2T Brewer's     yeast
or Aminos in 1/2 c water
2 T unsalted butter 1 T balsamic vinegar
1 onion, chopped fine 1/2 t  sugar
1 Tsoy sauce 2 T finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 T cornstarch dissolved in 1 1/2 c cold water  Makes about 2 1/2 c
  Slice mushrooms. In a 10-inch heavy non-stick skillet cook garlic in butter
over moderately low heat, stirring, until pale golden.
  Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened. Add mushrooms and
soy sauce and saute mixture over moderately high heat, stirring, until liquid
mushrooms give off is  evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown.
  Add wine and vinegar, or yeast or Aminos and boil until liquid is
evaporated. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet  with sugar. Bring
mixture to a boil, stirring, and simmer 2 minutes.
  Stir in parsley and season gravy with salt and pepper. Gravy may be made 1
day ahead and chilled, covered. When reheating gravy, add water if necessary
to thin to desired consistency.

Green Onion and Sesame Corn Muffins
6 T  butter 2 t baking powder
1 bu  green onions, thinly sliced 1 1/2 t salt
1 c  yellow cornmeal 1 c buttermilk
1 c unbleached flour 1  egg, beaten
1/3 c sugar additional  sesame seeds, untoasted
1/4 c sesame seeds,  toasted Credit: Bon Appetit March 96 Makes 12 muffins
   Preheat oven to 425xF. Line 12 muffin cups with foil muffin liners. Melt
2T butter in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add green onions,
sauteing, about 1 minute. Add remaining  butter and stir until just melted.
Remove from heat.
  Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds, baking powder,
salt and baking soda in large bowl. Make well in center. Add buttermilk, egg
and onion mixture to well. Mix into dry ingredients until just moistened.
  Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with additional sesame
 seeds. Bake muffins until golden and firm to touch, about 20mins.
Transfer to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To lower the fat in this, substitute applesauce for 4 T of butter.

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Cranberry  Casserole
2 -  3   lg sweet potatoes 1  c   apple juice
2  - 3   medium apples 1  c fresh cranberries
   Serves   4 - 6
      I like sweet potatoes and hate to see them smoothered. This recipe is
my alternative to marshmellow and brown sugar glazes.
  Peel sweet potatoes and slice into 1/2-inch rounds.  Peel the apples.  Cut
them in half, lengthwise and core.  Slice them crosswise into 1/2-inch
slices.
  In a medium casserole, alternate slices of apples and sweet potatoes,
overlapping slices so they slant  /////.  I usually get two  rows of slices
and I slant them in opposite directions.
 Pour apple juice over and sprinkle with cranberries.  Cover with plastic
wrap, waxed papper or a glass lid and microwave on high for about 10 minutes,
checking for doneess at about 7 minutes.
  If you want more sweetness, try mixing a 1/4 c of maple syrup into the
apple juice.  Pomegranite seeds make a beautiful garnish.  Sprinkle them on
just before serving.

Centerpiece Baked Winter Squash with Stuffing Variations
1 large winter squash or pumpkin, we like Rouge Vif D'Temps or a good Hubbard

  If you have a pumpkin, cut the top using a slant cut like you would a Jack
o Lantern.  Scoop out the seed cavity.  If you are using a Hubbard squash,
cut it in half lengthwise ( we use a cleaver and rubber malet to do this)
 Scoop out the seed cavity.  Oil the outside of your squash and place it on a
baking sheet in a 350xF oven for about 45 minutes to pre-cook.  Make your
dressing while this is happening.

 Onion-Sage Dressing
6 c   stale bread cubes  2 -3 T    ground or rubbed sage 2 med onions,
coarsely chopped 2 t thyme, ground
2 stalks  celery, coarsely chopped 2 t rosemary, well crushed
2 T  garlic, chopped   1 - 1 1/2 c broth
  Combine bread cubes with dry spices mixing thoroughly.  Saute veggies in a
small amount of broth until just tender.  Add the rest of the broth and the
veggies to the bread cubes.  I mix this by hand and season with salt and
pepper. ( I've been known to add chopped apples and raisins  for a sweeter
dressing or green peppers, corn and chilies for a Southwest take)
  Pack dressing firmly into squash cavity.Wrap or cover your stuffed squash
with foil to prevent excess browning and keep moisture in.  If using half a
Hubbard, place cut side down on the baking sheet.  If using a round squash,
 cover the "lid" with foil separately.
  Return squash to the oven and bake another hour or until shell is fork
tender and dressing is heated through.  Remove from oven and let set for 10
minutes before carving.  Rounds may be carved like separating an orange.
 Hubbards are placed cut side down usually cut down the middlle lengthwise
and then sliced crosswise.
  I also like Lundburg's Jubilee Rice, the blend with the lentils, as a
squash stuffing.  I add mushrooms, onions and celery to it and pre cook.
Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
1 1/4 c        plain yogurt, regular or lowfat 2 lb potatoes, peeled and cut
into   4     green onions, sliced   eigths
1/4 c     milk, regular or lowfat  Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 - 1  t  curry powder (opt)  Parsley, fresh, chopped
   Combine yogurt, green onions and curry powder in bowl. Place potatoes in
microwave-safe dish. Add milk. Cover tightly and cook on High until potatoes
are tender but not mushy, about 12 minutes.
  Remove from microwave. Add yogurt mixture to potatoes and mash roughly.
Season with salt and pepper.  Garnish with parsley.
   This may also be cooked conventionally.  Add roasted garlic for a treat.
Bon Appetit  November 1991  Kate Zentall: Venice, California 4 servings