CSA Goat Baby!

The first goat baby of the 1998 season arrived between 7 and 8 PM here at
Ash Grove Community Farm.  "Zephram Cochran" is a beautiful little buck by
"Ivy Acres Instigator" (aka "Stinky Scotty"), a registered Alpine buck, out
of "Gassy Gabriella", a Toggenburg/Saanen/Kitchen Sink mutt doe with a lot
of class.  All of Scotty's babies will have Star Trek names; the next one
will be "The Companion".

Zephram promptly found a 3-inch hole in the wall and squeezed outside.
Good thing I was hanging around, huh?  Found him, whisked him inside to get
dried off and warmed up and navel dipped in iodine, then back out to his
mom.

I knew babies would arrive tonight -- we're having a blizzard.

Gabby passed a small afterbirth and is still having contractions; I did the
second baby bump and it does feel like we can expect another.  I'll be
going back out to the barn in another hour to check.

And Heidi Ho-Ho Houdini was making goo-goo eyes when I left to warm toes
and report Zephram's arrival.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if she went
into labor tonight, too.

How did these girls know I have a very important meeting to run tomorrow
afternoon and I'm supposed to be something more than a total zombie to do
that?  <G>

Dori Green:  Writer, Farmer, Facilitator
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
http://www.servtech.com/public/funfarm/index.html