Fwd: first things first

Here are some questions that I think one needs to consider before
digging up a whole field.  Have I consulted any literature and/or local
farmers (namely those doing CSAs)?  What tilling/cultivation instruments
do you have at your disposal?  How much gardening have you done and at
what scale?

I tend to be conservative when it comes to plowing, and I am mentally
(though never physically) prepared to have residual grass and weeds.  If
your field is solely grass and hasn't been treated with synthetics, you
are very fortunate.  If there's noxious weeds, then you might want to be
more drastic....  Not only can fields be so individual, but what farmers
value, prefer and tolerate in their fields.

Also, I am assuming the field has great soil texture and structure, yet
that should be checked out.  For me, this is the greatest consideration
when deciding what implements to till with and how intensely.  For my
mind, I prefer to keep my soil biota intact, but any tilling destroys it
to some extent.  There's the trade off.  I agree with Jeff Hall,
something needs to be done, and this fall in order to have the field
warmed up and ready to go first thing come spring.

Next to soil biota and weed tolerance, I think that one's gardening and
marketing experience weigh strongly in any decision.  How large is the
field?  Do you need to plant the entire field?  Are you relying on the
CSA for money this year?  Next year?  What's your market?  maybe you
don't need the entire field, and can save yourself some time, labor,
money, and frustration.

There's no easy answers, although I wish there were.

I'd be interested in hearing more about it and what you decide to do.

Kirsten Saylor
Arlington, VA