Re: meat & poultry shares

I pay $1.25 per bird to have them processed by a USDA-inspected butcher, and
am therefore all kinds of legal for resale.  My shareholders can choose
strictly birds from this farm or just locally raised pastured birds from other
local growers.

I also deal with another processor licensed for beef, pork, lamb, and goats
but not for poultry.  I try to share the wealth.

I also deal directly with a couple of local beef and pork growers who use
local processors.

Another advantage of this system is that members who want meat can have meat
and members who feel strongly about their vegetarian commitments aren't
terribly offended by the small and obviously animal-comfort-oriented poultry
operation I run here at the farm, mostly for egg production.

No I am not either compulsive about feeling a need to please everybody.  Well,
yes I am.  <G>  This system works for me and also keeps the government off my
back and spreads the work and the goodies among my neighbors.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

http://www.agrove.com