METHOPRENE

On page five of the "DECEMBER 1996, ACRES" (we receive ACRES a couple of
months late in Australia),  there is a brief comment involving DEFORMED
FROGS.  It suggests that "methoprene" may be the culprit.  As a
veterinarian,  I dispense litres of flea spray with methoprene in it,  I was
told it is "as safe as houses",  along with the pyrethrin that accompanies
it.   I am very concerned with the way in which this product,  and many
others are used;  spraying the household pet,  often by the young owners,
with the spray being inhaled by everyone in the room.

Could someone please provide me with some more concrete references involving
the detrimental effects of methoprene or like substances?

As a student studying sustainable agriculture,  I am also concerned with the
way in which these "insect regulators" appear to be bantered around as
saviours of our environment,  by decreasing "pesticide" usage.

If I look at how Integrated Pest Management has just been introduced to me
as a student,  it seems that the whole concept of IPM seems to be a
potential springboard for any chemical company that wants to develop a
"clean"/"green" image.   To legitimize a chemical all the manufacturers have
to do is formulate some type of "environmental management" process along
with the usage of their "target specific chemical",  and we're all supposed
to think its OK to use the chemical.   I personally think that IPM,  as it
has been described to me,  is too easy and doesn't seem to encourage
producers to strive hard enough for "chemical free produce".

As a veterinarian I drive myself crazy attempting to formulate ways in which
producers can use little or no veterinary chemicals in their work.  It is
always much easier to lean on the "quick fix needle" or "insecticide" when
solving a problem.   If the cop-out of the "target-specific" chemical is
always there then most of us probably will not strive that little bit
further to fing a chemical-free solution.   I just feel that by definition
IPM is a little too much like "sitting on the fence" for my liking.

Andrew Byrne
8 Splatt Street
Swan Hill. 3585.
Australia.