Re: METHOPRENE

You wrote:

>I think there's another point here too - that there are many different
>definitions of the term "IPM."
>
>My understanding of the _original_ definition was that you do certain steps
>(identification of the pest and what level is unacceptable of that pest;
>removing conditions that encourage that pest; etc.) before even considering
>a chemical solution of any kind, and then if a chemical is deemed necessary
>by some criteria (ex. "life threatening situation if one doesn't use it"
>might be one) you choose the least toxic in the smallest area of the
>smallest amount and the shortest duration.

Hi Patricia;

I agree. I work exclusively with home gardners, who consistently use more
chemicals per capita than the agricultural community. Given the
environmental ramifications, I really can not imagine any criteria that make
the use of chemical pest solutions acceptable in home gardens.

The most effective pest control strategy is planned _before_ plants are
purchased: choose the correct plant for the site; when possible, get
disease/pest resistant varieties; maintain a balanced and diverse ecosystem
and keep the garden clean.

If you've tried all these things and still have problems with pests well ...
_plant something else_!!! Geez, it's not like we don't have a zillion choices.

--Bill

| lowTECH: YARD & GARDEN CARE                  USDA Zone 8   |
|     as if the EARTH MATTERS                 Portland, OR   |
|           Low-Impact, Earth-Friendly Garden Care           |
| (503)281-2354               eMail: lowtech@pacifier.com    |