Re: Man and Biosphere

Paula Speraneo,

You didn't mention what the articles said and what your concerns are
but here's my input.

I worked in Washington, D.C. for a joint Smithsonian Institution/Man
and the Biosphere Program.  We conducted Wildlands Management
Training in Latin America.  The courses were often held in Biosphere
Reserves.  I think that the existence of these reserves is important
although many countries don't have the resources to manage them and
they exist on paper only.

I found the bureaucracy to be a real pain but all in all the idea of
setting aside areas is sound.  I used to get questions about black
helicopters (never saw one) and UN flags hanging above a county's
flag (while they may fly, I never even saw a UN flag).

I would be happy to provide you with more of my experience with the
program if you would like.

John

John C. Mayne, Ph.D.
SARE Producer Grants Coordinator