Re: tires

I'm sorry that I cannot cite the original reference--I cannot
remember it, and I don't have time to look it up, but...
the study was done with tires that were to be "landfilled"
in ponds.  Dumped.

Anyway, the upshot of the research was that tires without metal
belts were "stable," without any apparently harmful contaminants
or breakdown products leaching into water.  However, tires with
exposed metal belts (ruptured, blown, whatever) leached trace
amounts of heavy metals into water.

It was research conducted in the US.