Farming at Risk - References -attachments

Here is Course outline from 3 Universities that can give
background info for your research
DBS
They were posted on : COURSE POST SAEd-Share-L

-- BEGIN included message

+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

COURSE POST SAEd-Share-L

This post contains a syllabus of a course in the broad category of
agricultural and food system sustainable development. This syllabus is an
updated version from first posting October 1995.

SAEd-Share-L welcomes additional contributions of similar courses at any
type of higher educational setting to share with other educators.

Regards,

Nancy Grudens-Schuck, list manager, SAEd-Share-L

+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

Educator:       Dr. Tom Lyson
Course Title:   Sustainable Agriculture and Development
Level:          Mainly graduate with some undergraduate
Institution:    Department of Rural Sociology, Warren Hall, Cornell
University, Ithaca, New York, 14853, U.S.A; E-mail: tal2@cornell.edu
Language:       English
First posting:  October 1995
Date of Update: September 1997

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                       SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE AND DEVELOPMENT

                                        Fall 1997

Overview:

This seminar focuses on the social, economic and political
foundations of sustainable agriculture and the linkages of
agriculture to development.  The course deals with issues of
sustainability and development in both advanced industrial
countries and in Third World countries.

The term sustainable agriculture has many synonyms, including
alternative agriculture, low-input agriculture, organic farming,
regenerative agriculture, bio-dynamic farming, ecological
agriculture, and the like.  In its broadest form, sustainable
agriculture implies a concern with the economic, environmental,
and social/community aspects of farming within a local/regional
context.  'Conventional' or 'mainstream' agriculture, on the
other hand, gives primacy to the economics and profitability of
farming within a national and global context.

The course begins with an historical overview of sustainable
agriculture (The Holy Earth) in week 2 and then turns to an in-
depth examination of the theoretical roots of the conventional
agriculture paradigm in week 3.  The guiding question for week 3
is "How and why did the assumptions embedded in neoclassical
economics emerge as the orienting framework for 'modern'
agriculture in the U.S. and in the Third World?"

The emergence of an 'alternative' or sustainable paradigm during
the last 10 years is the focus of the next section of the course.
Various critiques of the conventional paradigm are examined and
the dimensions of the newly forming paradigm will be discussed
(week 4).  Indigenous knowledge and farmer-to-farmer transfers of
skills and practices (Farmer First) is the focus of week 5.
Beth Barham will lead a discussion of sustainable agriculture as
a social movement in week 6.  She will specifically focus on the
work of Karl Polanyi.

Week 7 is spent examining the Goldschmidt Hypothesis.  Nearly 50
years ago Walter Goldschmidt, an anthropologist working in the
Central Valley of California, proposed that the quality of life
and level of living of rural residents was directly tied to the
organizational basis of farming.  Since his report was published,
there have been over 40 replications.  His conclusions raise
questions about the relationship between civic welfare and
economic organization that extend beyond farming.

Week 8 thru 11 deal with a variety of topics that are related to
the nexus between sustainable agriculture and development.  These
include biotechnology and sustainable agriculture (Chicken
Little, Tomato Sauce and Agriculture: Who Will Produce Tomorrow's
Food?) (week 8) and local and global perspectives on sustainable
agriculture and development (weeks 9, 10 and 11).

Week 12 is devoted to understanding the food system from a
sustainable perspective (From Land to Mouth).  Following this, we
will turn to an examination of the policy options that can lead
to a more sustainable agriculture (week 13).

Readings:

The following books have been ordered and are available at the
Cornell University Bookstore.  All are in paperback.

Bailey, Liberty Hyde. 1915. The Holy Earth. Ithaca: New York
State College of Agriculture.

Chambers, Robert, Arnold Pacey, and Lori Ann Thrupp. 1989. Farmer
First. London: Intermediate Technology Publications.

The Ecologist, Vol. 26, No. 6/December 1996. Food Insecurity: Who
Gets to Eat?

Gussow, Joan Dye. 1991. Chicken Little, Tomato Sauce and
Agriculture: Who Will Produce Tomorrow's Food? New York:
Bootstrap Press.

Kneen, Brewster. 1993. From Land to Mouth. Toronto: NC Press
Limited.

In addition, all of the required readings have been reproduced
and are available at K.C. Copies (118 Dryden Ave. in
Collegetown).  All of the required readings are also available on
two hour reserve in Mann Library.

Expectations:

Students are expected to have read all of the required readings
before class.  Each week two to four students will be designated
leaders for organizing the class session.  Students have a great
deal of latitude in organizing the class sessions.  In the past,
students have organized 'role playing' situations, written and
distributed discussion questions for the readings, organized
debates around the topic of the week, and brought in guest
speakers or videos to complement the readings.

A sign-up sheet will be circulated the second week of class.  The
goal is to have all class members serve as session leaders at
least two times during the semester.

Case Study, Term Paper, or Annotated Bibliography

Every student is required to complete one major assignment for
the course.  This assignment can take one of three forms:

1) A term paper on a topic related to the course (15-20 double
     spaced pages;
2) An annotated bibliography of at least 20 sources organized
     around one of the topics covered in the course;
3) A case study about some aspect of sustainable agriculture.

Students who choose to write a case study must attend a one hour
'working lab' several times during the semester.  The laboratory
is designed to assist students in the preparation of their case
studies.  The set of case studies produced by the students will
be published and distributed by the Farming Alternatives Program
as part of their community agriculture development effort.

There will be no mid-term or final examination in the course.
Grades will be based on participation in class discussions,
organization of class sessions, and the term paper/annotated
bibliography/case study.

SANET: The sustainable agriculture bulletin board

As part of the course, students may wish to subscribe to and
monitor the sustainable agriculture bulletin board -- sanet-mg.
Sanet serves as a worldwide forum for all topics related to
sustainable agriculture.  About 80% of the postings are from
North America.  Several sustainable agriculture newsletters as
well as job listings, bibliographies, and inquiries from
researchers and practioners comprise the bulk of the material on
sanet.   A typical day will see between six and eight postings,
though occasionally a controversial topic may generate between 20
and 30 postings a day.

To subscribe to sanet send the following command to
almanac@ces.ncsu.edu

subscribe sanet-mg

If you wish to unsubscribe to sanet after the semester, send the
following command to almanac@ces.ncsu.edu

unsubscribe sanet-mg

Note, do not send anything else in the body of the message except
'subscribe sanet-mg' or 'unsubscribe sanet-mg'.COURSE SCHEDULE

Week 1: Introduction (September 1)

Week 2: The Historical Roots of Sustainable Agriculture and
Development (September 8)

Bailey, Liberty Hyde. 1915. The Holy Earth. Ithaca: New York
State College of Agriculture.

Week 3: Conventional Agriculture and Development: The
Neoclassical Paradigm (September 15)

Urban, Thomas N. 1991. "Agricultural industrialization: It's
inevitable." Choices 6(4):4-6.

Drabenscott, Mark. 1994. "Industrialization: Steady current or
tidal wave?" Choices 9(4):4-8.

Hurt, Chris. 1994. "Industrialization in the pork industry."
Choice 9(4):9-13.

Boehlje, Michael. 1996. "Industrialization of agriculture: what
are the implications?" Choices 11(1):30-33.

Avery, Dennis T. 1997. "Environmentally sustaining agriculture."
Choices 12(1):10-14.

Bunyard, Peter. 1996. "Industrial agriculture -- driving climate
change. The Ecologist 26(6):290-298.

Tweeten, Luther. 1993. "Agriculture, government and cults."
Presented to symposium on Uncle Sam, Markets and Morality: The
Role of Government in Agriculture. Waldorf College, Forest City,
Iowa (April 22).

Week 4: Sustainable Agriculture and Development: Neoclassical
Critique and Paradigm Shift (September 22)

Beus, Curtis E. and Riley E. Dunlap. 1990. "Conventional versus
alternative agriculture: The paradigmatic roots of the debate."
Rural Sociology 55(4):590-616.

Jackson, Wes. 1990. "Making sustainable agriculture work." Pp.
132-141 in Robert Clark (ed.) Our Sustainable Table. San
Francisco: North Point Press.
Ikerd, John. 1994. "On defining sustainable agriculture." Paper
posted on Sanet-mg.

Lyson, Thomas A. and Elizabeth Barham. 1997. "Civil society and
agricultural sustainability." Unpublished paper, Department of
Rural Sociology, Cornell University.

Flora, Cornelia. 1995. "Social capital and sustainability:
agriculture and communities in the Great Plains and Corn Belt."
In H.K. Schwarzweller and T.A. Lyson (eds.), Research in Rural
Sociology and Development: Focus on Sustainable Development.

Week 5: Indigenous Knowledge and Agricultural Development
(September 29)

Chambers, Robert, Arnold Pacey and Lori Ann Thrupp (eds.). 1989.
Farmer First: Farmer Innovation and Agricultural Research.
London: Intermediate Technology Publications,

Week 6: Social Movements for Sustainable Agriculture
(October 6)

Barham, Elizabeth. 1997. "Social movements for sustainable
agriculture in France: a Polanyian perspective." Society and
Natural Resources 10:239-49.

Barham, Elizabeth. 1996. "Karl Polanyi and the issue of food
security." Unpublished paper, Department of Rural Sociology,
Cornell University.

Harwood, Richard R. 1990. "A history of sustainable agriculture."
Pp. 3-19 in Sustainable Agriculture Systems, edited by Clive
Edwards et al. Ankeney, Iowa: Soil and Water Conservation
Society.

Week 7: The Goldschmidt Hypothesis: Agricultural Structure and
Community Well-Being (October 20)

Goldschmidt, Walter. 1946. "Small business and the community: A
study in the Central Valley of California on the effects of scale
of farm operation." Report of the Special Committee to Study
Problems of American Small Business, U.S. Senate, 79th Congress,
2nd Session, Committee Print 13. Washington, DC: U.S. Government
Printing Office.

Goldschmidt, Walter. 1978. "Agribusiness and political power."
Pp. 455-491 in As You Sow. Montclair, NJ: Allanheld, Osmun and
Co., Publishers.
MacCannell, Dean. 1988. "Industrial agriculture and rural
community degradation." Pp. 15-75 in L.E. Swanson (ed.),
Agriculture and Community Change in the U.S. Boulder, CO:
Westview Press.

Week 8: Biotechnology and Sustainable Agriculture (October 27

Gussow, Joan Dye. 1991. Chicken Little, Tomato Sauce and
Agriculture: Who Will Produce Tomorrow's Food? New York:
Bootstrap Press.

Week 9: Local Perspectives on Sustainable Agriculture and
Development (November 3)

Waters, Alice. 1990. "The Farm -- Restaurant Connection." Pp.
113-124 in Robert Clark (ed.) Our Sustainable Table. San
Francisco: North Point Press.

Fieldhouse, Paul. 1996. "Community shared agriculture."
Agriculture and Human Values 13(3):43-47.

Hamm, Michael W. 1993. "The potential for a localized food supply
in New Jersey." Paper presented at the Environment, Culture and
Food Equity Conference. Penn State University (June).

Kloppenburg, Jack, John Hendrickson, and G.W. Stevenson. 1995.
"Coming into the foodshed." In W. Vitek and W. Jackson (eds.),
Home Territories: Essays on Community and the Land. New Haven,
CT: Yale University Press.

Lyson, Thomas A. and Judy Green. 1997. "The agricultural
marketscape: implications of alternative food systems for
communities and landscapes in the Northeast." Unpublished paper,
Department of Rural Sociology, Cornell University.

Center for Rural Affairs. 1988. "Agriculture: A foundation for
rural economic development." Center for Rural Affairs Newsletter,
November SR-5 - SR-8.

Week 10: Community Agriculture Development (November 10)
Duncan Hilchey and Judy Green from the Farming Alternatives
Program will organize this session

Lyson, Thomas A., Gilbert Gillespie, and Duncan Hilchey. 1995.
"Farmer's markets and the local community: bridging the formal
and informal economy." American Journal of Alternative
Agriculture 10(3):108-113.

Garnett, Tara. 1996. "Farming the city: the potential of urban
agriculture. The Ecologist 26(6):299-307.

Farming Alternatives Program. 1997. Farming for the Future: A
Guide to Sustaining Agriculture in Your Community. Community
Agriculture Development Series, Farming Alternatives Program,
Cornell University.

Farming Alternatives Program. 1994. Community Agriculture
Development" Profile of 32 Initiatives in New York State.
Community Agriculture Development Series, Farming Alternatives
Program, Cornell University.

Week 11: Global Perspectives on Sustainable Agriculture and
Development (November 17)

Goldberg, Ray A. 1993. "New international linkages shaping the
U.S. food system." Choices 8(4):15-17.

Watkins, Kevin. 1996. "Free trade and farm fallicies: from the
Uruguay Round to the Wolrd Food Summit. The Ecologist 26(6):244-
255.

Friedland, William H. 1994. "The global fresh fruit and vegetable
system: An industrial organization analysis." Pp. 173-189 in P.
McMichael (ed.), The Global Restructuring of Agro-Food Systems.
Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.

Avery, Natalie, Martine Drake and Tim Lang. 1993. "Codex
alimentarius." The Ecologist 23(3):110-112.

Steinbrecher, Ricarda A. 1996. "From Green Revolution to gene
revolution: the environmental risks of genetially engineered
crops. The Ecologist 26(6):273-281.

Lehman, Karen and Al Krebs. 1996. "Control of the world's food
supply."  Pp. 122-130 in J. Mander and E. Goldsmith (eds.), The
Case Against the Global Economy. San Francisco: Sierra Club
Books.

Shiva, Vandana and Rdha Holla-Bhar. 1996. "Piracy by patent: the
case of the neem tree." Pp. 146-159 in J. Mander and E. Goldsmith
(eds.), The Case Against the Global Economy. San Francisco:
Sierra Club Books.

Week 12: Understanding the Food System (November 24)

Kneen, Brewster. 1993. From Land to Mouth. Toronto: NC Press
Limited.

Week 13: Policy Options (December 1)

Lappe, Francis Moore. "Food, Farming and Democracy." Pp. 143-160
in Robert Clark (ed.) Our Sustainable Table. San Francisco: North
Point Press.

Stauber, Karl N. 1994. "The futures of agriculture." American
Journal of Alternative Agriculture 9(1/2):9-15.

Gillespie, Gilbert W., Jr. 1995. "Sustainable agriculture and
prospects for rural community development in the United States.
Pp. 167-191 in H.K. Schwarzweller and T.A. Lyson (eds.), Research
in Rural Sociology and Development: Sustainable Agriculture and
Rural Communities, Vol. 6. Greenwich, CT: Jai Press.

Rambo, Terry. 1997. "The fallacy of global sustainable
development." Asia Pacific Issues, No. 30. East-West Center.

End Syllabus

***************************
Nancy Grudens Schuck
Doctoral Candidate

Department of Education
119 Kennedy Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853
U.S.A.

E-mail: ng13@cornell.edu
FAX: (607) 255-7905

***************************

-- END included message

-- BEGIN included message

+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

COURSE POST SAEd-Share-L

This post contains a syllabus of a course in the broad category of
agricultural and food system sustainable development. This syllabus is
mainly available on the Web, but this post contains the background
information that is presented to students.

SAEd-Share-L welcomes additional contributions of similar courses at any
type of higher educational setting to share with other educators.

Regards,

Nancy Grudens-Schuck, list manager, SAEd-Share-L

>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

Educator:                       Dr. R.H. (Dick) Richardson

Course Title:                  "Natural Resource Management" at URL:
                                http://www.utexas.edu/courses/resource

Level:                          Graduate and undergraduate

Institution:                    Zoology Department, University of Texas,
                                Austin, Texas, 78712, U.S.A.
                                Phone: (512) 471-9651;
                                E-mail: d.richardson@mail.utexas.edu

>Language:                      English

Date of First Post:             September 29, 1997

>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

Dear SAEd subscribers:

This course is really worth a look on the Web at URL:

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/resource

where it is available for use by Dick Richardson's students in this course
on Natural Resource Managment.  Dick is a long time SAEd-Subscrdiber. He
has not only based his course on Holistic Management (TM) ideas, but
provides his students with experiential learning opportunties like
structured group work, structured self-reflection and assessment, and
interesting case studies. Dick once told me that his course does not have
'agriculture' in the title, but is 'all about' sustainable agriculture, and
I could not agree more.

I have provided the text from only one of Dick's Web sites so that you may
see some of the content. However, you will learn more about Dick's
organization and goals if you visit the several Web pages that he has
created for the course. These Web pages do more than simply provide text to
students: Dick says that the Web is an integral part of the course. He
teaches the course in the spring so the Web pages may undergo some change
from this time until the course begins again.

Regards,

Nancy GS

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

> [...]
>     improve team effectiveness in reaching the objective(s).
>  3. Participate in a team with high personal commitment to maximize the
>     team's effectiveness.
>  4. Apply knowledge from courses and experience and take initiative to
>     gather other information or obtain skills as needed to accomplish the
>     team's objective(s).
>  5. Carry out responsibilities as a team member, with a commitment to high
>     quality work completed "on time". This includes preparing parts of the
>     final report in a form that are clearly written, accurate, and
>     contribute to successful completion of the team's objectives. (Only
>     those willing to carry through to publication will be included on the
>     list of authors, should the team report qualify for submission for
>     formal publication.)
>
>A graduate student will be expected to accomplish the following:
>
>  1. Identify the strengths of team members, and organize these in an
>     effective way to accomplish one or more objectives.
>  2. Build the collaborative dynamics in a team, serving as a catalyst for
>     members feeling they are valuable members with pride in the success of
>     the team.
>  3. Facilitate and instruct the team in the consensus building process, and
>     guide the decisions using the holistic management decision making
>     process.
>  4. Organize the initial plan to accomplish the objectives, and then
>     facilitate adaptive improvements with the contributions from the team
>     throughout the team's work schedule. (This may mean any degree of
>     revising the plan, provided the revisions produce a better plan.
>     Adaptations to changing circumstances, new information, or other
>     "corrections" in objectives or strategies are part of holistic
>     management.)
>  5. Organize the writing of the report that presents the team's results
>     that accomplish the objective(s) or revised objectives, and take the
>     lead in blending results into a document suitable for formal
>     publication.
>
>Consensus Building
>
>Both graduate and undergraduate students will be expected to accomplish the
>following:
>
>  1. Describe and characterize the differences between working with
>     "collaboration" and working with "consensus." (These will be discussed
>     in class.)
>  2. Facilitate and skillfully participate in groups to create
>     consensus-based actions.
>  3. Show how groups functioning with consensus and using the holistic
>     decision making process can effectively manage natural resources in
>     sustainable, or even regenerative, ways. When such a result is deemed
>     impossible, then a student will identify the restrictions that prevent
>     such management.
>
>Maintained by Dick Richardson
>d.richardson@mail.utexas.edu
>Last updated 02/17/97: Copyright© 1997 R. H. Richardson.

***************************
Nancy Grudens Schuck
Doctoral Candidate

Department of Education
119 Kennedy Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853
U.S.A.

E-mail: ng13@cornell.edu
FAX: (607) 255-7905

***************************

-- END included message

-- BEGIN included message

+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

COURSE POST SAEd-Share-L

This post contains a syllabus of a course in the broad category of
agricultural and food system sustainable development. This syllabus was
first posted in May 1997 and has not been substantially changed.

SAEd-Share-L welcomes additional contributions of similar courses at any
type of higher educational setting to share with other educators.

Regards,

Nancy Grudens-Schuck, list manager, SAEd-Share-L

+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+>+

Educator:       Dr. Gigi Berardi

Course Title:   Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture

Level:          Undergraduate

Institution:    Dept. of Geography and Environmental Social Sciences
                MS 9085 Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA 98225
                E-mail: gberardi@cc.wwu.edu

Language:       English

First post:     May 1997

Date of Repost: September 29, 1997