A Suggestion

        Interest among a few members of the list on issues arising from
organic certification and the forthcoming regulations has blossomed to a
point where it may be time for them to take the discussion to another list,
more focused and deidcated to that topic.  Sal's excellent web page is an
obvious candidate if he can manage a "chat room" on the topic. Maybe one of
the certifying organizations would volunteer to take on this task; when the
NOP rule is published, we will need a dedicated forum to discuss, debate and
sharpen responses.  Moving this debate now while the juices are still
flowing would be a good way to jump-start a new list.  I would surely enjoy
participating in the dialogue.

        In addition to substantive imblanace of the last 10 days or so, the
tone and content of messages has not improved fast enough for my taste.  So
lets do a poll.  I would love to see at least HALF of the 700-800? people
who receive Sanet to weigh in with, if nothing else, a short message, with
subject line: "Re More Debate Orgo Certification".

        In your message, say whatever you wish, but at a minimum, please
post --

"Let the debate go on!" or

"Enough for now."

        Hopefully this will help clarify whether the average SANET reader is
interested in more discussion on organic certification and the topics that
have been so thoroughly beaten to death of late.

        Over the last 5 years or so there have been maybe 3 or 4 times when
SANET readers have had to rescue the list from a few people deeply
interested in a narrow issue, or too stubborn to stop a pissing contest.
Maybe its time again, maybe not.  What do you think?

                chuck

Note New New Address!!:

Charles Benbrook                         208-263-5236 (voice)
Benbrook Consulting Services             208-263-7342  (fax)
5085 Upper Pack River Road               benbrook@hillnet.com   [e-mail]
Sandpoint, Idaho  83864                  http://www.pmac.net