Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce

Hello:

This morning I discovered that last night I had sent out an email addressed
to these recipients which I had parked in my outbox a few days ago. It was
written in spanish and was meant as a rowdy reply to Douglas Hinds, who
seemed to be inferring that Mr. Kindberg has a drug problem.

I can assure you that he does not.

In the first place, allow me to applogize to Mr. Hinds for calling him a bad
name. Two wrongs do not make a right, and I don't believe it raised the level
of communication for me to have responded to his comments derisively. Sorry
for the flame, no matter that it was accidental.I haven't any idea who may
have received my ill-conceived response, but to you also I apologize for
abusing this service with such bad manners.

Secondly, I can only say that in the time that I have worked with Mr.
Kindberg I have agreed with him quite often, and as well have found cause to
disagree as well. But I have always found that his position with regard to
the OFPA and his insights with regard to rulemaking and implementation have
been very apt and correct. He has spent quite a lot of time in these
communiques explaining the USDA organic program and defending the OFPA, and
the resulting information should be of use to anyone interested in the future
of organic food and fiber production.

Quite a few organic farmers like Sal Schettino are concerned about the
implications of federal and international rulemaking and oversight on organic
farming and handling, and it is good that their concerns are responded to as
exhaustively as Mr. Kindberg has undertaken. I am very distressed that the
role of the Santa Barbara County Agriculture Commissioner's office has become
as invasive as it has been portrayed by Mr. Schettino. Likewise, I am
dismayed, doubly,  that growers in that region are distressed and feel
oppressed by certification, since I served for many years as the
certification chair of the CCOF chapter in that region and actually inspected
Mr. Schettino's orchards twice during the 1980s. One thing that seems to have
changed is the sense of community that was shared by growers, and imitated to
an extent in the certification process. I can see now that I performed far
too many inspections for free, and this has lead to grower's expectations
being unrealistic.

How unrealistic was I? I managed the certification for the South Coast
chapter of CCOF for four years. I ran a huge phone bill on all that work,
performed many inspections free of charge and handled all the paperwork.For
35 growers, including nationlly known labels. I would not do that job again
for less than $10,000 dollars per year. When you consider that Marianne
Simmons, who I was married to at that time, also worked part-time as Chapter
Secretary and for a year as the chapter president, I think one can begin to
imagine the amount of volunteerism and good will that has been poured into
this game for many years.. For free. And by EXPERTS in the field. Everywhere.
And Mr. Hinds is undoubtedly one of them.

Imagine the learning/educational process we need to undertake to competently
inform the new regulatory players in organic farming and handling,
certification and accreditation.

Therefore, lets try to make ourselves a bit more personable. Invite the ag
commissioner out for a "cup of coffee" and find out how to address these
problems. It has been my experience that government is populated by living,
breathing human beings. They can be reasoned with. They can be made to see
your side of an issue and can occasionally make changes based on your
concerns.

Another thing: The USDA/NOP is not going to go away. Any kind of limited
protest action, while completely acceptable, may be, in the end, time and
energy misdirected.

Get a copy of the OFPA in front of you and study it. Be prepared to voice
your concerns on every aspect of the Proposed Rule that is not in accordance
with OFPA.

Once again, aplogies to all.

Steve Sprinkel
Texas Organic Growers Association