Re: Robyn--assessing competencies

>Do you have plans for the media to be used to
>evaluate the competencies? Plasticene modelling,
>oral-explanatory, written-explanatory,
>demonstrated, others? The answer to these
>question may help narrow the field a little.

The focus is on 'workplace' assessment - the ability to actually
do/deliver the task/product in the real word as opposed to understanding
the theory.
If the competency is to make a plasticine model then yes. But making
plasticine models is not a permaculture competency although it might have
a place as a learning strategy.
The means of assessment will be detirmined by what the competency is.
One can make a plasticine model of a chicken and explain a chicken system
beautifully but that doesn't mean they are competent with chickens.
Taking the chicken as an example for a competency 'Design an integrated
permaculture chicken system' the assessment would involve drawing and
explaining a design for a chicken system
If the competency is 'Design and implement an integrated permaculture
chicken system' then as well as the design the assessment would involve
an assessor observing and questioning the student as they do their daily
chicken tasks about their management strategies, the design of the
system, it's links with adjoining systems, the health and well being of
the chickens etc.

It's all in how we actually word the competencies
Hope that helps
Robyn

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au  www.earthwise.org.au