Using earth to deflect wind

Hi everyone, I tried a posting months ago, but it never appeared so will try again.

My partner and I are in the process of designing a house for a fairly flat site on the Eyre Peninsula of South Australia that has a fair amount of wind exposure. We are wondering whether anyone has experience or knowledge of designing or using swales/mounds/earth around a house and garden for wind protection/deflection. We are not looking at earth berming the house, but protecting the zones 1- 3 as much as possible.

OUr climate is semi-arid with only 500 mm of rainfall and a massive evaporation rate due to hot summers (35 - 45 degrees Celcius) and most rain falling Autumn - Spring (only one month rainfall exceeds evaporation). We both have studied PDCs and note some references to mounding earth in the wind sectors to create microclimates, but are curious to know of practical examples.

In the meantime we have direct seeded significant windbreaks of native, fire retardant species (another major risk in our climate) but they will take at least four years to begin to create and effect.

cheers
flick wright