Re: "converting" indigenous people to pc

I've been reading this theme with interest although I do have an aversion
to use of the term 'converting' - sounds too much like
perma-missionaries.
There are many assumptions around traditional and indigenous cultures,
while many have excellent traditional systems which should be retained,
reintroduced, built on, adapted and integrated with Pc, some cultures are
far from sustainable and have seriously depleted/degraded their
environment, others have no tradition of gardening or farming and need to
start from scratch with basic skills for food security - beware the
'noble savage' syndrome and beware of generalising.
I have many thoughts about this topic arising from the Pc work I've done
in India, Indonesia with Aust Aboriginal communities & NZ Maori and
eslewhere, where I have learnt as much or more than what I taught.
The issues are complex and there are so many factors to consider in this
kind of work and i don't have time to write them all up here - I conduct
an annual course for people intending to work in these situations and my
students are now working on successful projects around the world.
There is an article titled 'The Dynamics of Culture' on my web site:
 www.earthwise.org.au under articles - it may be interesting food for
thought
Robyn Francis

Djanbung Gardens Permaculture Education Centre
home to:
Permaculture Education
ERDA Institute Trust
Nimbin Eco-Village Project Office
Robyn Francis - permaculture designer & educator
PO Box 379, Nimbin NSW 2480 Australia
Ph 02-6689 1755 Fax 02-6689 1225
permed@nor.com.au  www.earthwise.org.au