Re: Runner Bean Wine??

At 10:22 AM 9/1/01 +0100, Graham Burnett wrote:
>Anybody got a recipe for runner bean wine? My abundantly producing runner bean
>plants on the allotment didn't get attention for 10 days or so, and now
>their are
>lots of beans that are too tough & stringy for culinary use....

I don't know about bean wine...but I have two suggestions:

1)  Let the beans dry the rest of the way out, shell them, and cook them as
any other dried bean - any vegetarian cookbook will tell you how to do
that, including soaking them for a while before cooking.

2)  If you end up with more dried beans than you can use for seed, share
the surplus so that others can grow their own beans.  I've been giving away
lots of runner beans lately myself.

The main challenge I see in attempting to use them for wine is that they
probably don't have a lot of sugar in them, which is essential to
fermentation.  You could attempt to malt the beans in some way, to convert
starches to fermentable sugars...but that seems like the long way around to me.

Just a couple of thoughts,

Loren

Loren Davidson        Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com   http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334     ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S.
Ivanova, ret.