Re: question for waterproofing canvas

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 20:23:11 -0500, "Lawrence F. London, Jr."
<lflondon@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Then there's pine rosin, used on
>violin bows - there may be a commercial source for this,
>possibly in granular form, at an affordable price. Some
>bulk materials suppliers might have this;  musical instruments,
>artists supplies, etc.

Found this link to a supplier, Georgia Pacific.
Georgia-Pacific Chemical Products
http://www.gp.com/chemical/pine.html
They sell tall oil which is extracted from pine resin. This may be
just the ticket for a canvas waterproofing mix.

and ....

FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
Gum naval stores: Turpentine and rosin from pine resin
http://www.fao.org/docrep/V6460E/v6460e00.htm#Contents

http://www.fao.org/docrep/V6460E/v6460e04.htm
" 'Naval stores' is the inclusive term used to denote the products
obtained from the oleoresin or resin* of pine trees (genus Pinus). The
term originates from the days when wooden sailing ships, including
naval ships, were waterproofed using pitch and tar and other resinous
products from pine trees. Although the connection with ships is now
remote, the term is still commonly used by those in the trade and
elsewhere. There are three distinct sources of naval stores:

Gum naval stores are obtained by the tapping of living pine trees.
Collection of the 'gum' or resin is a labour-intensive operation
(similar to rubber tapping). Distillation of the resin, which can be
undertaken in fairly simple equipment, produces gum rosin and gum
turpentine in varying ratios, usually between 4:1 and 6:1.

Sulphate naval stores are by-products recovered during the conversion
of pine wood chips to pulp by the sulphate (kraft) pulping process.
Sulphate turpentine is condensed from the cooking vapours. Crude tall
oil, obtained from the alkaline liquors, is fractionated into
various products including tall oil rosin and tall oil fatty acids.

Wood naval stores are obtained from resin-saturated pine stumps long
after the tree has been felled. The stumps are solvent extracted
using capital intensive technology to give wood turpentine, wood
rosin, dipentene and natural pine oil."

>My thought is that if used in moderate
>quantities it might improve the waterproofing qualities of the mix,

<>

This might also be useful:

Respiratory toxicity of cedar and pine wood
http://www.trifl.org/cedar.html

A little more homebrew advice for health and fitness, wellbeing and
prosperity:

http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/aramsey/civil/hall/halljuly11862.txt
July 1, 1862

I got stung by a yeller jaket yesterdy. Caused
a not to swell up on my arm big as a hens egg.
My wife put on a poltice of onion and snake
root and it drawed out the pizen.  Thought I'd
write down a few remedies that'll cure ye of
most what ails ye.

Gargle with yeller root tea for sore throat and
mouth. A little alum mixed with it helps.

Drinkin wild cherry bark tea mixed with whiskey
is a good spring tonic.

Wear a Asofidita bag around yer neck to ward off
a cold, the grippe and the flu (and people).

Drinkin snake root tea or ditney tea or eatin
sheep's sorrel thins the blood.

Put chimbley soot and cobwebs on a cut to stop
the bleeding.

Put a little pine rosin on a rag an put it on a
sore keeps it from putrifyin.

Pine rosin put on a cows horns after de-horning
keeps the flies off.

Eat a spoon of sugar, lard and 2 drops of
turpentine to cure the croup.

A little paragoric mixed with water and sugar
stops the flux and gravel (diarrhea).

9 sow bugs in a bag worn around the neck cures
the nosebleed..

Wear a flat lead bullet on a string in the holler
of yer neck to ward off nosebleed.

Warsh yer face with vinegar to cure nosebleed.

Drink May Apple root tea for a strong laxitive
to clean ye out.

Eat a spoon full of sulphur and molasses for a
spring tonic.

Put a dried piece of pigs bladder in yer shoe
to cure foot corns.

Eat dried arnge peelings if ye can git em to
cure a cold.

a boy whos never seed his daddy blows in a baby's
mouth to cure the thrash.

Rub buttermilk and salt on a sunburn, bee sting
or pizen oak.

Rub butter on a burn to take the fire out.

Takin a drink of whiskey will cause the measles
to break out sooner.

If ye pull a pulled tooth dont let a dog step on
it or a tush (tusk) will grow back in place.

Smelling of vinegar or alchohol cures a headache.

Carry a buckeye in yer pocket to cure rheumatism.

Lawrence F. London, Jr.  ICQ # 27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com  london@ibiblio.org
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech