(fwd) Grey Water

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:38:30 +1100, in alt.permaculture "Paul"
<tnt@apex.net.au> wrote:

Hi all.

I live in Canberra Australia, and want to use sand traps, reed beds
etc to
have a large water feature in our yard.  I envisage using grey water
from
the shower, bath basin and washing machine.  I am not sure what sort
of
primary filters etc to use.  I do not  want to use toilet or dish
washing
water.

I would like several ponds cascading down our back yard with a pump to
feed
back to the top.  I will have an over flow which will allow excess to
flow
into the stormwater or sewer, when the system is replenished by water
from
the house.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these, and what problems did
they
have, especially with the authorities?  The water people here are
pretty
good but I haven't approached them yet, as I would like to go in with
some
decent plans and ideas.

Thanks,

Paul

<><><><>
<><><><>

On 11 Feb 2001 20:18:16 +1000, in alt.permaculture dmoss@mydeja.com
(David Moss) wrote:

tnt@apex.net.au (Paul) wrote in <981855363.171581@draal2.apex.net.au>:

>I would like several ponds cascading down our back yard with a pump to
>feed back to the top.  I will have an over flow which will allow excess
>to flow into the stormwater or sewer, when the system is replenished by
>water from the house.

If you are going to use wastewater of any kind I can't see them
letting you
connect it to stormwater.

If you are going to use rainwater of any kind I can't see them letting
you
connect it to sewage.

In the former case you would end up raising the biochemical oxygen
demand
of whatever river or stream the stormwater ends up in, even if you
just use
washing and showering waste.

In the second, if everyone added stormwater to the sewage the system
would
not cope and it would end up raising the BOD of the Molongalo and
Murrumbidgee Rivers.

BTW I suggest you take a geko at a tertiery treatment pond in a sewage
works before you go ahead with this idea. I did a tour as part of
Engineering Science at DDIAE some years back. The secondary treatment
pond
looked much like any lake you see around here, fairly clear water,
fish,
waterbirds and frogs etc. Then they filtered it into another pond and
bubbled air through it. What a mess! They sell the brown crap that
precipitates out on day 2 as feritliser and burn the gas thats given
off to
generate power.

I wish you luck, what you propose would probably work well with a bit
of
land. See that the Mt Stromlo Obsevatory do with their grey waste for
an
example. In the suburbs though, I don't know.

David Moss
personal opinion only