an observation

[this didnt seem to come thru yesterday, trying again...]

just a small ode to tree tubes here.

at Dreamtime we have a 2 1/2 acre forest farm demonstration that weve been
growing for about 7 years or so.  In the first 5 years I would say that we lost
more than 50% of each years plantings to mice & rabbits.  (& the 5th year was
way more drastic)...    so we bit the bullet & put everything in tree tubes or
wire cages & have been doing that "religiously" since.  just did a walk thru to
see if there is any rabbit damage so far & I could not find one tree that had
been touched.  in fact, since there is a blanket of snow I was able to see the
patterning of wear the rabbits went & they do not even approach the tree tubes,
so they are acting as visual barriers as well.

we've been discussing live trapping rabbits & keeping them in a pen & fattening
them up for a few months before butchering them, has anyone made use of them
like this....