Re: Street Farmers (1970's)??? Any info????

Last i heard Peter was director at the Alternative Technology Center in
Machynlleth - I don't have them bookmarked but search on the correct
spelling of Machynlleth (I just massacred it) or "National Center for
Alternative Technology" and you should find it.

I think in the 80's Godfrey was at ITDG (intermediate technology
development group)

I remember seeing this stuff in Undercurrents, but I don't remember seeing
any examples of things that had actually been done, rather than just
advocated.

- Mitra
(currently in India)

At 12:15 PM 4/19/2000 +0100, Graham Burnett wrote:
>A little off topic (perhaps no less so than the requests for info about
>the wartime 'Dig For
>Victory' campaign that recently appeared on the gardening lists- to my
>mind it's all in the same
>tradition :-), but a request for info...
>
>I've just been reading in Peter Harper & Godfrey Boyle's 'Radical
>Technology' (published in the
>70's by 'Undercurrents' Magazine- itself a classic of the era) about a
>group active in London in
>the early seventies called the Street Farmers, who took their inspiration
>from the Situationist
>International and events of Paris 68, and advocated basically ripping up
>the streets and pavements
>and planting them up with fruit trees and vegetables, as well as radical
>architecture concepts like
>urban estates consisting of living houses created from bamboo, etc....
>
>Does anybody out there have recollections of this group, or copies of the
>magazine they published
>in 1972, which apparently contained "a series of fantastic collages and
>cartoons" which articulated
>their vision?
>
>I'd love to know more + see these visions!
>
>In anticipation,
>
>Graham Burnett
>35 Rayleigh Avenue
>Westcliff On Sea
>Essex, UK
>SS0 7DS
>
>South East Essex LETS
>http://pages.unisonfree.net/gburnett/
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: mitra_lists@earth.path.net
>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>with message text containing: subscribe permaculture

* Mitra Internet Consulting
* Chief Technology Officer - AppleSoup.com
* mitra@earth.path.net            http://earth.path.net/mitra
* International fax/voicemail: +1-415-704-3167
* Currently in India: +91-20-668-6359 office or+91-212-6125-915 home
* Or find me: http://earth.path.net/mitra/contact.htm
*
**** Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved ******