Re: Does Permaculture have to be so expensive???

I don't think that teaching Pc for money is unethical.  But, one of the reasons that I
feel courses are so high in cost is that for me, I would have to travel quite a
distance for a course.  As far as I know, the closest courses are in Nova Scotia,
Maryland and Tennessee (except for exceptionally rare courses offered a bit closer).
Not only is the money a factor, but the time is very difficult for me as well.  It's
hard to be gone for a week or more and leave DH with all the home responsibilities (ie
sheep, chickens, housework, etc.).  We are not yet in a position to have a good
animal-sitter that we can trust will keep things running fine while we're both gone for
that length, either.  So, for me, the added cost of time and travel (travel alone
between $300-$500, plus course fees) made the correspondence route much more appealing
as I can learn at my own pace and taylor the program to my own specific needs.  I would
think that these are concerns for many folks who would otherwise be interested in the
topic.

Has anyone started an interest group in their area for PC?  I'm wondering how one would
go over in this area.  I spoke with a bookseller in town one day who said that the
Mollison book "Intro to PC" sells quite well.  It's a very small bookstore in a small
town, so that should say something.  I've also thought about the possibility of
offering mini-workshops through the local adult ed program.  Has anyone tried this
route of disseminating info?

Kelley