Re: GBlist: Strawbale not good for humid, mixed heating and cooling climates -Reply

Ron: the question is whether you believe you can build a "skin" that will
never leak. Traditional stucco assumes there will be leaks whether there
is proper flashing or not, and utilizes a building paper drainage plane to
deal with the water that they know will eventually get in. Presumably,
straw bale builders could do something similar, although I've never seen
those details.

Arnie Katz
AEC
Raleigh, NC

>>> Ron Hughes <ronhughes@energyhome.com> 05/10/97 03:05pm >>>
It is my understanding that the failure was primarily a result of improper
flashing above windows and doors which allowed rain water into the
walls.
If that is the case, I would think proper flashing and a generous overhang
could solve that problem.