GBlist: Re: cotton batt insulation -Reply

Wendy Hawthorne wrote:
"Does anyone have experience with Greenwood Cotton Batt insulation?
We specified it on a job and now have 620 square feet of supposedly
R-30 batt that is about 5" thick (supposed to be 8.5"). They compress it
so densely for shipping that it is only about 3". After 2 weeks, batts that
have been lying on their sides are about 5". Batts that were actively
"fluffed"  are about 7.5".

We're getting different stories about what is supposed to happen.

We want to use the stuff, but so far have not been impressed. Can
anyone give us some experienced advice?"

Wendy--
The most knowledgable person I know on this subject is Scott Collins of
Insulation Technologies, an insulation contractor in Raleigh, NC. His
phone # is 919/787-3107. He's been using cotton batts for a couple of
years now (along with dry pac cellulose, wall spray cellulose, and
fiberglass batts), and is in a good position to give you an objective
assessment.

Arnie Katz
AEC
Raleigh, NC