Re: GBlist: Re: Greywater

John Salmen wrote:
>Aside from reuse and conservation of water there is a significant
>heat-energy value to greywater than can be recovered by incorporating
>heat exchangers. Here is an address for one such product that gives you
>an indication of potential recovery.http://www.oikos.com/gfx/

John, you are correct.  The energy content of waste water is pretty
significant. The heat exchanger mentioned above has great potential, if you
can synchronize the flows.

I've thought about a heat exchanger inside the septic tank, but what happens
to tank temperatures, bug activity, and loss of heat exchanger efficiency
kinds of things.  I've also thought about a heat exchanger on the sewer line
from the house to the city sewer.

Maybe a simpler heat exchanger would work.  A simple 55 gallon drum "bulge"
in a greywater drain line, with interior loops of copper supply pipe would
certainly warm up some incoming cold water, and help with the flow
synchronization problem.

Am I ignorant?  Is this kind of thing already being done?  In my part of the
world we don't have domestic water worries, yet.  (Lets not discuss the new
waste treatment plant proposed for down the road that will double my water
bills, because "I" like to use water once and throw it away.)

Greywater use ought to be a national issue.

Craig DeWitt
SC Energy R&D Center